New LE/KODI Install From Windows Box

• I had KODI (Matrix) running on a Win10 box with 2 HDs, a 4TB and a 6TB formatted (if I recall correctly) with GPT...

I put in an LE SSD and am wanting to run LE from now on.. Everything went pretty smoothly.. I even was able to set up the SMB access from my Win10 machine (ENTERPRISE) to the LE BOX (HOLODECK) sensing the pattern?? :D

But I do have a minor problem and a major problem..

Minor:

I would like to rename the 4TB and sdb2 blaa blaa.. But the dirs are not able to be renamed, either in Windows File Manager or directly in the LE box via SSH...

Which I think is caused by my MAJOR problem..

I can't write to the drives... In SSH, the dirs in /var/media/ are all drwxrwxrwx but the files themselves are -rw-r--r--

I have tried every mount, remount, umount, chown, chmod known to humans and I can't change the permissions..

Anyone have an idea??

Thanx in advance...

• Assuming you are booted from the SSD, i.e. the 2G/4G HDD are not the boot device: umount the mounted drives, fsck the partitions on them, then use e2label to change the disk labels; reboot and the drives will mount with new names visible. My guess is the drives haven't been cleanly ejected/shutdown in Windows so the filesystems are marked as dirty. Linux considers dirty filesystems to be corrupted so auto-mounts them read-only to prevent damage. The fsck will clear the dirty flags and allow things to remount in read-write mode. NB: If you are only going to use the drives in LE you'd be better off with EXT4 partitions; I'd guess Windows drives are NTFS which (until Linux 5.15 appears in LE releases) will be rather slow (fast enough for local playback, but not best performance).

• Thanx for the info..

Unfortunately, these drives are quite full and finding a temp home for about 8 gigs worth of TV Shows and Movies would be.... problematic.. :D

But what you are saying is once I clean them, they should boot up clean and be writeable..

Is that an accurate assessment??

And, to save me some GOOGLE search, can you confirm the umount command?? umount /dev/sdx ???

Thanx again..

• Forgive the delay in getting back on this.. Was down for weeks with Covid and then spent a couple weeks getting things resolved at work..

But I wanted to follow up on this, as I am SO close.. :D

Where things are at now is as they were. I can access HOLODECK from ENTERPRISE.. (The LibreElec machine and my Windows work station respectively..) But the drives are still "dirty" and I cannot write to them..

I had taken the drives off of HOLODECK and put then on ENTERPRISE to "clean" them and rename them.. So the naming issue is resolved, but I still need them to be clean in HOLODECK...

I have looked up the commands to un mount and then fsck the drives, but I can't get the drives unmounted to run the fsck..

I realize this is a very basic thing, but if anyone could help, it would be most appreciated...

• If you are unable to umount the drives something is using them and this needs to be stopped first. If they are removable drives; disable the samba service which is auto-sharing them .. that's probably the reason.

• Yep, I am running SAMBA...

Is there any way to totally shut down KODI while leaving LibreElec running and available in SSH??

In the alternative, will shutting down SMB thru Kodi suffice??

On another note, I can't make eth0 connect automatic.. It's always set to MANUAL.. Even if I set it to AUTO, it STILL shows MANUAL.. Maybe setting it thru SSH instead of the KODI GUI??

Thanx for the replies.. Your assistance is greatly appreciated..