RPi4B with v10.0 - standard def file playback has lagging video at 4k

• I have resolution set to 3840 X 2160, and I've tried the different refresh rates up to and including 30. 1080p files and 4k files all play fine (h284 and h285). But some old 480p files have some stuttering and major lag in the video (compared to audio) that gets worse the longer you play.

If i lower resolution to 1080 than everything plays fine, but obviously defeats the purpose of buying a 4k TV!

am I missing something obvious here? Thanks for any tips.

• If i lower resolution to 1080 than everything plays fine, but obviously defeats the purpose of buying a 4k TV!

Set the desktop to 1080p and then use the whitelist to facilitate 4K playback when it's needed. Your TV will do a better job of upscaling 1080p and 480p SD media to the native 4K panel resolution than Kodi (on an ARM SoC) will.

• Thank you! Did what you recommended and it works great now!

I was admittedly ignorant about whitelists, I did some research and easily found info on setting it up.

Just to confirm, the info I read told me to set "Adjust display refresh rate” to “On start/stop". I assume this actually makes it adjust refresh rate *AND* resolution, right?

thanks again!