Some 4K content not playing Full Frame [Raspberry Pi 4] LibreElec 10

• Hi guys,

There is something that's troubling me for a while and I wonder if you guys can give me some explanation of this.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with LE 10 beta (latest) running through a Sony STR-DN1080 and then to my Optoma 4K UHD-35 projector.

I'm playing 4K HDR movies and Netflix and some movies are full frame (the dark gray area on the screen) and some movies are not. They are playing in a smaller frame (the light gray area on the screen). As far as I can see, both movies have the same resolution in the video stream. Does anybody know why some files display in a smaller frame?

I can't wrap my head around this and I find it quite annoying tbh.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Cheers,

Rob

• Random hunch: Check the whitelist and remove 4096x2160p "4K" entries leaving only 3840x2160p entries. Better?

Was about to say the same. 4096x2160 modes can be a real pain. I always whitelist them out as none of my displays are 4096x2160.

• Does the width definitely change - and are all the sources output at the same video resolution (i.e. 3840x2160p)

Do all the source files (apart from DRMed stuff you can't analyse) have the same native resolution ?

A lot of TV drama is now shot 2:1 (i.e. 16:8) so you get a bit of letterboxing (black bars top and bottom), but black bars left and right too is unusual.

SD stuff - particularly 50Hz stuff has the 702x576 vs 720x576 issue to contend with too - lots of platforms get this wrong. (702x576 = 4:3 or 16:9 - with 9 samples of padding left and right to create a 720x576 raster that is wider than 4:3 or 16:9)

I'm not a projector user - so can only compare with my Sony UHD HDR TV - but that shows everything I expect to fill the screen filling the screen (though Kodi - on at least some platforms - may have issues with some 720x576 stuff in PAR/DAR terms I think)

• I only play UHD 4K content and I'm pretty sure all content has the same video resolution. If I play the content on my PC in Kodi, it fills the screen (1080p).
    Could it be my Sony Receiver that's causing this? Or is that unlikely? Anything else I can try?

• I only play UHD 4K content and I'm pretty sure all content has the same video resolution. If I play the content on my PC in Kodi, it fills the screen (1080p).
    Could it be my Sony Receiver that's causing this? Or is that unlikely? Anything else I can try?

What happens if you take your Sony Receiver out of circuit?

What content plays normally, what content plays 'shrunk'? Be useful if you logged it. For file-based stuff posting the Media Info of a file that plays OK and a file that plays shrunk could be useful too.

That said - Netflix full-screen content and Netflix 2:1 content are both likely to be carried in a 3840x2160p video standard - with the 2:1 stuff having black bars top and bottom. However if watching the exact same content on your PC fills the screen - then that suggests something is odd.

Can you playback the Netflix stuff that's shrunk using an alternative player solution to compare and check it's not your projector doing something odd?