VNC black screen when Libreelec set to 4K for TV

• Hello.

I'm using Libreelec v9.2.6 on a Raspberry Pi 4. The settings in Libreelec correctly recognises that it's a 4K TV and set a 4K resolution (in system/display). Media plays fine on it

The problem is when I try to connect to it from VNC the VNC window appears to accept the connection but it just displays a black screen. I noticed that when I change the Libreelec resolution (again in system/display) and reboot the Pi the next VNC connection attempt works fine.

I wondered if there was a way I could connect via VNC to Libreelec while Libreelec is set to display at 4K.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

Matt

• Go to Best Answer
  • 1st question: Does VNC server support 4K ? Not sure myself.

2nd question: why is there the need for NVC? Some things are better done "under water" via a SSH backdoor or via JSON/API calls.

• 1st question: Does VNC server support 4K ? Not sure myself.

2nd question: why is there the need for NVC? Some things are better done "under water" via a SSH backdoor or via JSON/API calls.

Thanks for your message.

Re 1st question. I don't know if VNC supports 4K but if not perhaps there's a way for VNC to connect to the second screen (nothing is plugged into it) or a virtual screen and have that running at 1080P.

Re 2nd question. I use VNC to manually update the library after adding new content and to check it has named everything correctly.

Matt.

• Thanks for your message.

Re 1st question. I don't know if VNC supports 4K but if not perhaps there's a way for VNC to connect to the second screen (nothing is plugged into it) or a virtual screen and have that running at 1080P.

Re 2nd question. I use VNC to manually update the library after adding new content and to check it has named everything correctly.

Matt.

Just use chorus for that..

• Just use chorus for that..

Thanks for your message. This would appear to be the solution to the issue thanks!

Plus since setting Libreelec back to 4K with the intention to use Chorus for those things vnc also now displays the screen correctly to and is no longer black - very strange that but I'm glad.

Matt.

Edited 2 times, last by mattIV (August 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM).