LE 10 Nightly 20210720 does not boot on RPi 4B

• I have upgraded from LE 10 Nightly 20210717 to latest 20210720 but it does not boot on my RPi 4B / 2GB from HDD connected through USB/SATA adapter anymore. :(

There is a multiboot (RPi Noobs, menu starts without issue and when I select RPi OS it starts OK).

Boot to LE ends with a black screen and it's not even visible on network anymore.

I'll try to investigate from RPi OS what happened with LE filesystem and if it's possible to recover it somehow.

• Fixed by restoring distroconfig.txt from backup.

For those who fell into the same trouble, it should look like:

Code
    # SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
    # Copyright (C) 2019-present Team LibreELEC (https://libreelec.tv)

# WARNING: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - IT WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN UPGRADING!
    dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
    dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
    disable_overscan=1
    disable_fw_kms_setup=1

As I had to turn off / on the hanged RPi, after LE recovery I found this message in kernel log (dmesg) :

FAT-fs ( sda11 ) Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

So another necessary task was to Remove dirty bit using:

fsck.vfat /dev/sda11

Edit - see the post #8

Edited 3 times, last by ghtester (July 21, 2021 at 9:36 PM).

• I have same issue with my rpi4 jumping from 20210717 to latest 20210720, where in my case sd only contains LibreELEC. (No Noobs)

Black screen, not visible on network etc.

Thanks for the pointer..Will take a look at config.txt and attempt to restore/replace later today.

• The latest nightly enables 4kp60 by default in distroconfig.txt. Please try with the stock distroconfig, wait a few minutes after powerup, then you should be able to ssh in.

Then run "pastekodi" and "modetest | pastebinit" and post the URLs, this should help us find out what went wrong.

Testing with 4kp60 here was fine but if something went wrong in the video driver it can hang for a while so bootup can take a bit.

Instead of changing distroconfig.txt you can also just add "hdmi_enable_4kp60=0" to the end of config.txt - this will survive further updates.

so long,

Hias

• HiassofT

added hdmi_enable_4kp60=0 to end of config.txt on sd, then attempted to boot rpi4, no change blank screen.

No ability to access rpi4 via ssh or samba even after a reasonable wait time

Removed power

on a hunch, disconnected 2nd hdmi which in my usage case outputs audio to older AVR that does not support 4K etc

(1st hdmi connected direct to 4k TV)

Reconnected power to rpi4 and libreelec booted up OK, samba access ok, but access to rpi4 via ssh not available?

Removed hdmi_enable_4kp60=0 in config.txt on sd

Removed hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 from distroconfig.txt on sd

Attempted to boot, no change blank screen.

Removed power

disconnected 2 hdmi

Reconnected power rpi4 booted up OK samba access ok, but access via ssh not available?

So unfortunately unable to run suggested commands via ssh whilst 20210720 installed.

Considering to roll-back to previous nightly and try upgrade again, anything else to try whilst only one hdmi connected with everything other than ssh appearing to be working OK? (to gather elements of requested info i.e. from libreelec build in pastebin options)

• samba working but ssh not is odd, nothing changed in that area. Are you sure it's enabled and worked with the previous build?

I'd recommend rolling back to the previous build, connect both the TV and the AVR and then grab the edid of both devices, then I'll see if I can reproduce the issue here.

run

Code
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid > edid-tv.bin
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-2/edid > edid-avr.bin

and then upload the edid-tv.bin and edid-avr.bin files (put them into a zip so the forum software allows attaching it).

EDIT: ah, and please post pastekodi and modetest from the previous build, too.

so long,

Hias

• Rolled back to 20210717 and checked HDMI settings for Audio correctly setup on second hdmi connection etc.

Apologies as now realise that ssh was probably working absolutely fine in 20210720 (user error using ssh from pc :blush: )

LibreELEC:~ # pastekodi

http://ix.io/3tD0

LibreELEC:~ # modetest | pastebinit

no results to fetch

Hope information is helpful, can try again with 20210720 installed in order to compare results between builds on my particular setup

(now I have resolved user error with using ssh, hadnt used putty in a while, didnt check carefully loaded session parameters :blush: )

• MikeKL thanks!

I could reproduce the issue, the new kernel hangs during boot if two HDMI devices are connected (checked that here with two monitors).

It's a bug in the kernel, the same thing happens on RPi OS with the latest rpi-update kernel. I've opened a github issue here RPi4/kms: boot hangs if two monitors are connected · Issue #4465 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

Until that's resolved stick to the previous nightly build or leave the second HDMI unconnected.

so long,

Hias

• ...new kernel hangs during boot if two HDMI devices are connected (checked that here with two monitors).

Yes that was my case as well ( 2 FullHD displays attached, Secondary disconnected from power).

As soon as I started RPi OS (with earlier kernel), terminal window (that I needed for analyzing the issue) opened on Secondary (unpowered) display and the most easy way to get everything displayed on Primary display was to disconnect the HDMI cable from Secondary display and reboot RPi.

So my assumption that restoring the distroconfig. txt to earlier form did fix the issue was wrong... :)

Thanks for the explanation of the issue root.

• Hello!

I'm in the dual HDMI TV+old AVR situation and bumped into the exact same problem. The other single HDMI RPi4 had no issue.

I reverted to an older build.

I'm watching this thread so that I can provide an additional data point if needed.

Nico

• I am afraid this kernel has more issues than the bug with 2 displays and perhaps should be reverted to earlier version.

I have experienced Kodi crashes and in the end kernel panic due to exhausted memory.

• ghtester please always post "pastekodi" and/or kodi crash logs if you run into issues - as mentioned in the sticky in this forum - otherwise we have no idea what's going on.

RPi4 has a known issue of the OOM killer kicking in which will be resolved by switching to a 64bit kernel - see here RPi4: switch to 64bit kernel by HiassofT · Pull Request #5507 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub - if you had provided a "pastekodi" log I would know if it's the same issue or a different one.

so long,

Hias

• Thanks for the feedback.

I have put the Kodi crash log in another issue report with no reaction ( LE 10 Nightly unstable / Kodi crashing on RPi 4B ).

This time the kernel panic stopped my debug activity. :) But I suppose many Kodi crash logs are still there so I could publish them (couple days later as I am leaving for holidays today) if there's a chance anyone will have a look on it.

In fact the LE stability is worse than earlier in LE Nightly builds for RPi 4B. In past, Kodi never crashed completely when the Live TV stream was temporarily corrupted.

Regarding to OOM killer - in past when it happened sometimes (usually when the Timeshift operations was requested) the Kodi usually restarted and worked for another long period. These days I saw the situation that Kodi was not able to start again. Looks as a memory leak or something like that.

• ghtester that crash log looks like it's something else, never seen that though.

If possible try to reproduce it with a small, local file and then upload that somewhere so we can try to reproduce and analyse the issue as well - PVR addons, corrupted streams etc add lot of points where things go wrong, that's not something we can easily look into.

In general always use the log upload function in LE settings or the "pastekodi" / "pastecrash" scripts as they also include the journal, config.txt and other settings that are important to us, in addition to just the kodi (crash) log. More often than not the kodi (crash) log alone is not enough to kmow what went wrong.

so long,

Hias

• Yeah I understand, will try to match all the debug requirements next time but as I am using almost only the Live TV in LE, it's hard to provide you with the 'corrupted' files. I know it's hard do debug if you can't reproduce it. But now it's really easy to crash Kodi when the TV signal is weak. Never seen it in past. The question is how sensitive it is over the corrupted multimedia files...

Thanks for your hard work.

• Just record the stream and see if you can reproduce the crash with the recorded file, then try to narrow it down to a short (30 seconds or so) snippet and upload that somewhere. This will also remove the PVR addon out of the equation.

Lots of us devs don't use or even have access to a PVR setup at all and we really need a short sample to look into such issues.

so long,

Hias

• I saw a major kernel change in LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-nightly-20210724-0b9677f.tar, going to aarch64. Is it including More vc4 fixes by mripard · Pull Request #4470 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub, supposed to fix RPi4/kms: boot hangs if two monitors are connected · Issue #4465 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub ?

I could try, but I have to admit that I'm not looking forward breaking and restoring from backup the lounge system on a Saturday evening! That would no do much good to my WAF...

Thanks!