Dvi to HDMI adaptor only playing 1 channel audio

• I am using a wyze thin client and I'm so impressed how it plays 1080p content. It will even play 4k at 1080 as long as I don't skip through.

High quality audio files (dsd 5.6mhz) no problem. However I am only getting one channel audio from my dvi-hdmi cables. I have tried two. Does anyone know a fix?

• It depends on the graphics card and type of DVI output jack. Your DVI jack may only carry a mono audio signal. Check the specs of your model to make sure it has a DVI-D output jack and that the graphics card is capable of stereo audio through that jack.

• Official Post

DVI standard doesn't support audio officially. Some graphics cards support non-standard audio-over-DVI. Search for audio settings at your BIOS / EFI. It's basically no LE problem.

Chances are you won't find such audio settings. I suggest an USB audio interface. Those ASIO interfaces for musicians work fine. The ASIO driver is part of LE's Linux kernel. Other drivers need some research whether they work with Linux.

• As far as I can research dvi-d will carry 2 channel audio with a dvi-hdmi cable.

In libreelec settings there is the 3.5mm jack option and hd output which isthe dvi-d and it works just one channel.

Would love to get 2 channel working on libreelec. Would make these 4 wyze thin clients perfect machines.!!

• DVI-D "can" support 2-channel audio. The question is whether "your" computer will output stereo through the DVI-D interface. If you don't find these settings in the BIOS, then follow the instructions above from Da Flex.

• Yeah ofcourse. I don't know how it happened but I restarted it a few times and not only am I getting 2 channels I'm getting 5.1 with the settings at 5.1 in Kodi.

$27 + $7 ssd +2 dvi-hdmi +2 3.5mm optica cable and it's a pretty good streamer. Even playing 4k at 1080p.

I would suggest if anyone went this route to get one with a better processor. Will try putting 16gb ram in it and see.

• Well done, that's a pretty cool media player now! :)

PS: You can check RAM usage by activating the debug logging HUD. 16GB is probably overkill on LE.

Yeh it's using basically none of the 4gb of ram. The CPU is a different story however it never cuts out or lags. Skipping during 4k is also a problem. I plugged the optical in both a high eend dac and also an avr.

Got 5.1 from the avr. If only optical could do a higher bitrate.

Out of interest has anyone ever used an is2 or i2s via hdmi cable as their audio output to a dac from a rpi or something similar.

Pink faunn cards are way too expensive

• The light speed of TOSLINK is fast enough for any bitrate, so the problem is your sound / graphics card. I'm sure bitrate will be the same on HDMI and TOSLINK. Not sure where an USB audio interface grabs the audio data from, but that's probably the only way to increase bitrate.

Sorry but this is not true. Optical is capped at 44.1khz when doing 5.1

It is capped at double that when doing 2 channel, possibly 96khz

Some recording interfaces use 2 optical cables to achieve a higher bitrate.

Hdmi 1.4 caps at 192khz with 7.2 channels, hdmi 2.0+ can do alot more channels at 192khz

Audio interfaces for recording can do many channels with thunderbolt, FireWire and usb.

Digital to analog converters are capable of doing dsd audio 5.6 MHz at 1bit on 2 channel stereo via USB or i2s.

I2s uses a HDMI cable to go from source rpi (not a PC) or high end sacd player to a high end dac using HDMi cable but not hdmi signals. It's called dsd

Some DVD, blu-ray players can play dsd to certain receivers in dsd of the CD has a super audio cd layer. This results in 5.1 dsd, something pretty fantastic

• One more thing and I hope I can post it on here. Castanigit addon is not working for me on thin clients. It's keeps saying password error. Something I haven't seen since last year?

• Official Post

Sorry but this is not true. Optical is capped at 44.1khz when doing 5.1

It is capped at double that when doing 2 channel, possibly 96khz

Some recording interfaces use 2 optical cables to achieve a higher bitrate.

Hdmi 1.4 caps at 192khz with 7.2 channels, hdmi 2.0+ can do alot more channels at 192khz

You're right HDMI can be faster than TOSLINK. Your thin client wasn't made to do multimedia hocus-pocus, so I'm skeptical that you get higher bitrate on your DVI output, which wasn't designed to play audio at all.

Please open a new thread for "Castanigit" (?) at the add-on sub-forum.