Cant play 4K MKV files without crashing

• ntfs-3g is built in (as in the official LE images).

Better stay away from USB Y-cables, at best they won't help (RPi has a total limit it can draw from USB-C and provide to USB ports) - use the official RPi power supply and a powered USB HDD or a powered USB hub if your drive needs more power.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

I have tried the new build and some weird stuff is happening. When it is connected directly to my 1080p TV I can access the external HDD where the films are no problem. I can scroll through the subfolders and play the movie. It also boots quickly.

When it is connected to my 4K TV through my AVR it takes much longer to boot. When I select Movies from the home screen it takes me to the file directory. I click on HDD and it displays the sub folders but when I try to open a folder which has the movie files in there it crashes. Some times it will reload, after 3 minutes or so, other times I have to turn the power off.

When I select Movies from the home screen it some times crashes when I select HDD and it wont let me see the sub folders.

Now for some good news. I then tried a film from a 128gb USB flash drive. This allowed me to play the film and the film went all the way through with minimal drop frames, maybe three times, and no sound drop out. I was using passthrough and the audio was Dolby TrueHD.

I dont think the logs will help. I extracted the Kodi logs directly from the SD card and the crash file from Kodi itself. Is there a way to get the crash file from the SD card?

Both the HDD and the USB flash drive are formatted to NTFS. No Y splitters were used on either power or HDD.

One thing I did notice is that during the boot the red LED on the Pi was coming on and off which I havent seen before. It normally stays on permantently after power on.

Crash Log :

http://ix.io/2lAF

New Log :

hastebin

Old Log :

hastebin

Thanks

• One thing I did notice is that during the boot the red LED on the Pi was coming on and off which I havent seen before. It normally stays on permantently after power on.

The red LED must be permanently on. If it's going off it means you have a power supply problem which you need to solve first - if the power isn't stable the RPi won't run stable and it could well be that the odd crashes you are seeing are caused by that.

Disconnect all USB peripherals and everything else you might have attached (fans, HATs etc) and make sure everything's working fine. I also strongly recommend using the official RPi power supply as that's known to work just fine.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

I run it with a dedicated power supply and a powered hub for the HDD. The film played perfectly all the way through with HD audio. I will continue testing with films of different bitrates but so far it has seemed to work.

I also reverted back to 9.95.5 with the same setup just to make sure. The film wouldn't play past 20 minutes and crashed (original problem), so it looks like the 64bit kernel has cured the OOM issue.

Thanks again for all the help and ill keep running films through it and report back if anything happens.

• Parf can you please test this build? LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-devel-20210713215127-5ac3ead.img.gz - just copy it to the "Update" samba share (or to /storage/.update/ folder) and reboot.

It contains a 64bit kernel instead of the standard 32bit LPAE one which should hopefully fix the OOM issues (I suspect 32bit LPAE and HIGHMEM are causing the OOM issues as lowmem is rather small on these kernels).

so long,

Hias

Usually, I could pretty quick trigger the OOM issue by starting multiple downloads (Transmission, Docker) and playing a high bit rate movie at the same time. After installing this build, no issues whatsoever op till now.

Will report if I run into issues, but will be perfect if this change is merged to the next release.

• We've switched the kernel to 64bit, the latest nightly build (currently 20210724) from Index of / already includes this change.

Please test with the official nightly builds instead of my older testbuild.

Note: there's a known bug in the kernel ATM, RPi4 won't boot if both HDMI ports are connected (eg if you use an AVR on the second HDMI port) - this should hopefully be fixed soon.

Also the latest builds enable 4kp60 output by default - if your TV supports 4kp60 but your cable isn't up to spec you may get no signal on TV. In that case add hdmi_enable_4kp60=0 to the end of config.txt to disable 4kp60 support

so long,

Hias

• No, it will be in the next release. Please test with nightlies for now.

so long,

Hias

Nightly builds (24th and 25th) directly gave issues; reverted back to your build and no issues for now.

I'm not proficient in retrieving log files.

If you could point me to a guide I can share them and provide feedback on the nightly builds.

• I have run many films though your build and no issues with the playback. It wont mount my external HDD sometimes so I have to unplug it and plug it back in but apart from that I now have a true 4K player.

I will also test the nightly builds and see if I get the same error.

Thanks

• ntfs-3g is built in (as in the official LE images).

Better stay away from USB Y-cables, at best they won't help (RPi has a total limit it can draw from USB-C and provide to USB ports) - use the official RPi power supply and a powered USB HDD or a powered USB hub if your drive needs more power.

so long,

Hias

I was having the same issue also my USB drives would also disconnect had to reboot the hard drives, so I updated to the latest stable build it seems to have fixed the issue, but now it doesn't mark off the videos I have already seen nor does it resume from where I had stopped the video ugg of course my new issues are not related to the OPs post

• What kind of issues did you have?

Info on how to get log files is in our wiki: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/support/log-files

so long,

Hias

Nightly build of 28-07.

After starting downloads (transmission in docker), video output stops. Samsung tv indicates that resolution is not supported.

Libreelec and docker still seems up & running.

Setup:

RPi4, original power supply, wired internet, external ssd (Samsung SSD T5 500GB), single HDMI cable connected, boot via external USB thumb drive.

Logs:

http://ix.io/3ukN

• This is most likely caused by this issue: HDMI screen turns off when sustained high CPU usage on all cores · Issue #1598 · raspberrypi/firmware · GitHub - video output stops working when RPi4 overheats.

Make sure your RPi4 is properly cooled (eg heatsink or fan, if you use a case try without it) and/or avoid high workloads until that's fixed.

so long,

Hias

• This is most likely caused by this issue: HDMI screen turns off when sustained high CPU usage on all cores · Issue #1598 · raspberrypi/firmware · GitHub - video output stops working when RPi4 overheats.

Make sure your RPi4 is properly cooled (eg heatsink or fan, if you use a case try without it) and/or avoid high workloads until that's fixed.

so long,

Hias

Makes sense, however, how come I don't experience these issues on your build posted in this thread?

• Makes sense, however, how come I don't experience these issues on your build posted in this thread?

We recently enabled 4kp60 by default in nightlies, which needs higher clocks and is probably more sensitive to thermal throttling and FW reducing clock speed to prevent overheating.

You could try changing the display resolution to 1920x1080p60 in settings (in general that's the recommended setting as kodi GUI is 1080 anyways), that uses lower clock speeds and should be affected less.

so long,

Hias

• I have been running the nightly build 26th since its release and I have thrown all types of videos files at it from 4K to DVD and it is working perfectly. I have also run 4K films back to back so it has run constant for 4 hours and again no issues with audio or video.

Thank you Hias, you have fixed the issue I had. I look forward to the official release but at the moment ill stay with this build unless you need some more testing done on another build.

Is it worth running the new nighties everyday? What updates are included in each build?

Or is it a case of if it works there's no need to update and wait for the new RC or stable build?

Edited once, last by Parf: Extra info (August 2, 2021 at 11:05 AM).

• Thanks a lot for testing and reporting back, good to hear it's working fine now!

If you like you can update to later nightlies, we fixed a couple more bugs (and stopped enabling 4kp60 by default as that there's an unresolved issue). See the github commit log for details Commits · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub - clicking on the linked pull requests in the "merge pull request ..." commits usually contains some more info about the changes.

It's always helpful for us if people test the latest nightly so we get feedback if we accidentally broke something.

But of course it's also OK if you just stay on the build that works for you and wait for the final release.

so long,

Hias