Posts by Parf

I tried two large HDDs and the Pi could only power one as the other started to click.

I think I have found a solution to the back feeding. I bought a 20cm extension cable and cut the 5V cable. The cable between the Pi and is now only transmit, receive and ground so the external power supply to the hub cant send 5V back to the Pi. I used an extension so I can still use the hub elsewhere without external power if needed.

Hi all,

I run multiple versions of LibreELEC to see if any issues I find are in previous versions or new, so I am frequently formatting cards and doing fresh installs. The issue then, is I have to reconfigure Kodi every time to the way I want it.

Are the settings saved to a specific file that I can just copy from one card to another of a different version to preserve the settings I have selected?

Thanks

Hi all,

Is there a list or can someone recommend a powered USB hub for the RPI4?

I have bought a few 4 port ones but they all back feed and I have problems starting the Pi, they also randomly unmount the HDDs. I have three 4TB USB 3.0 portable drives I would like to connect all at once so it will need to deliver a good amount of power per port.

I have looked around and read some reviews but all the ones I have found are from the US and I cant get them in the UK. I also looked at the USB3.2 HAT for the Pi but even with an external power supply I dont think it can deliver at least 2A to each port. I found the Wiki for Pi hubs as well but most on there are old or USB 2.0. I did a search for HUB on here to but nothing came up that could help.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I work next door to the Sony plant that makes the Raspberry Pi's. I was in there today and they have an impressive teaching room where they offer courses so I'm thinking of signing up to learn more about the Pi. So I don't look like a complete noobie I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

In LE 10 and above the config says GPU_mem is set to 76MB as it says 76MB are needed for H264 decoder. I was told not to touch this as the Pi4 allocates GPU memory from the total memory when needed. In the distroconfig it has a line arm_64bit=1 which I assume tells the Pi4 to run in 64bit mode.

In LE 9.2.8 the config says GPU_mem is set to 320MB as it says at least 288M is needed for some 4k HEVC files. In the distroconfig it doesn't have the line arm_64bit=1 which is why I asked if 9.2.8 is 64bit.

I can only assume this is because of the different kernels and Kodi versions maybe? Is there a reason behind this as I only use the Pi4 as a media player for 4K rips?

Thank you

Hi,

Does LE9.2 contain a 64bit kernel instead of the standard 32bit LPAE one?

I had problems running 4K films on LE9.2 as the OOM killer was being triggered. Im thinking with the GPU accelerated H265 decoding and a 64bit kernel, it will help with high bitrate 4K rips on LE9.2

Thanks

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of testing on the RPI4 with 59.97fps high bitrate (4K blu-ray rips from disc) and I have found that the nightlies from LE11 run a lot smoother with less stutters. The latest one I tried 18th October had none in the first 3 minutes whereas before there were quite a few.

Does 10.0.3 have the same fixes as the LE11 nightlies or is it completely different because of the new Kodi releases? I couldn't use 10.0.2 as the stuttering was frequent and evident.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes all the cables I have from TV to AVR to Pi are certified. As I knew I would only be playing high bitrate rips I made sure I got the right cables.

I bought them from retail HiFi shops and scanned the QR codes on them to make sure.

I removed the overclock but kept arm_boost=1 and force_turbo=1.

On the nightly build using the second audio stream 5.1 there was a big difference. I watched it for ten minutes and noticed one stutter but where it stuttered before was smooth.

Using 10.0.2 it still stuttered in the same places using 5.1 audio track.

Do you think the TrueHD processing and the 59.94fps is taking too much out of the Pi or is there a issue with the passthrough?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently got a new 4K film and its 59.94fps. All my 23.97fps 4K films play perfectly but the 59.94fps ones are stuttering. Its not a full stop kind of stutter but it is noticeable and every 5 - 10 seconds. I tried the 3rd May nightly and the stuttering was definitely less than on the 10.0.2.

I firstly added hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 to the config and whitelisted the resolutions. I also tried arm_boost=1 to give it more power. I always have force_turbo=1 active. This didn't help.

I then tried to overclock the Pi as I thought it maybe struggling, to 2000 on the CPU and 700 on the GPU with a over_voltage-=8 but that didn't help either

I also thought it might be the USB stick not keeping up so I ran a test. On one stick I was getting a consistent read of 101mb/s using three different softwares. On the other stick I was getting a consistent 139mb/s.

The log I got is below so hope it helps.

hastebin

Are there any known issues with running 4K 59.94fps movies?

Thanks

I have been running the nightly build 26th since its release and I have thrown all types of videos files at it from 4K to DVD and it is working perfectly. I have also run 4K films back to back so it has run constant for 4 hours and again no issues with audio or video.

Thank you Hias, you have fixed the issue I had. I look forward to the official release but at the moment ill stay with this build unless you need some more testing done on another build.

Is it worth running the new nighties everyday? What updates are included in each build?

Or is it a case of if it works there's no need to update and wait for the new RC or stable build?

I have run many films though your build and no issues with the playback. It wont mount my external HDD sometimes so I have to unplug it and plug it back in but apart from that I now have a true 4K player.

I will also test the nightly builds and see if I get the same error.

Thanks

Hi Hias,

I run it with a dedicated power supply and a powered hub for the HDD. The film played perfectly all the way through with HD audio. I will continue testing with films of different bitrates but so far it has seemed to work.

I also reverted back to 9.95.5 with the same setup just to make sure. The film wouldn't play past 20 minutes and crashed (original problem), so it looks like the 64bit kernel has cured the OOM issue.

Thanks again for all the help and ill keep running films through it and report back if anything happens.