LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.95.4 "does not see" satellite cards

• Dears,

I have a plese for anyone who's able or willing to help me. At the moment I have a classic PC on which I am running LE on LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.6.img.gz. Everything is fine here. As part of the upcoming migration to LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.95.4.img.gz, I have a second disk in that PC and by simply specifying it within the BIOS, I learn which disk I want to boot from, which allows me to test the new version in peace.

My please is that there are two DVB-S2 cards in the PC:

- TBS 6905 (Quad DVB-S/S2)

- TechnoTrend TT-Budget S2-3200

On the existing Kodi, I selected CrazyCat as drivers using the LibreElec Module Drivers add-on, did a reboot and everything works as it should. If I do the same on the new Kodi 19.x, nothing happens and the system just doesn't "see" the card.

PS: I realized that in the past I uploaded TBS6905 firmware through the network into the "Configfiles/firmware/tbs6905" path, so I copy this folder 1:1 to the same location in the new Kodi. Unfortunately without any change.

Would someone be so kind and helpful as to advise me how I can get these satelite cards working in Kodi 19.x, please?

There are logs from my two Kodi installation on same computer:

- log from Kodi 18.9: http://ix.io/3pFF

- log from Kodi 19.1: http://ix.io/3pFE

Thank you in advance,

Martin

• Analyze your lsusb or lspci output command after applying the drivers. In my case:

LibreELEC:~ # lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0bc2:ab62 Seagate RSS LLC <<<---- HARD DRIVE

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 2109:0813 VIA Labs, Inc.

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2109:0813 VIA Labs, Inc.

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 4037:2804 <<<---- MX3 AIR MOUSE

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 18b4:1689 e3C Technologies DUTV009 <<<--- DVB-T TUNER

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 1f4d:3000 G-Tek Electronics Group <<<--- DVB-S/S2 TUNER

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 045e:02d5 Microsoft Corp. Xbox One Digital TV Tuner <<<---- DVB-T/T2 TUNER

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2109:2813 VIA Labs, Inc.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2109:2813 VIA Labs, Inc.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My best tuners are IPTV or SAT>IP connected via ethernet and don't need drivers:

- XTi-3442 DVB-T/T2: 2 tuners

- DIGIBIT-R1 DVB-S/S2: 4 tuners

Edited 4 times, last by elonesna (June 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM).

• pls try the tvheadend addon from our repo instead of the docker version (disable/remove for testing), maybe this changes anything (no idea)

then pls share a dmesg | paste output (LE10), the log itself doesn't show the needed info

• Output after using the command: dmesg | grep frontend

Code
    [    3.543617]  c8f6c28b0df073b94e8e835504fd3c12a63ee315 media: dvb-frontends/stid135: Updates from LLA 1.4.0.
    [    3.544755]  c8f6c28b0df073b94e8e835504fd3c12a63ee315 media: dvb-frontends/stid135: Updates from LLA 1.4.0.
    [    3.758109] TBSECP3 driver 0000:05:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (STV091x Multistandard)...
    [    3.879910] TBSECP3 driver 0000:05:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (STV091x Multistandard)...
    [    3.970257]  dvb_register_frontend+0x1f4/0x290 [dvb_core]
    [  183.478659] TBSECP3 driver 0000:05:00.0: frontend register failed
    [  183.599179] TBSECP3 driver 0000:05:00.0: frontend register failed

And here are the outputs after execution: dmesg | paste

Output from Kodi 18.x:

http://ix.io/3q3p

Output from Kodi 19.x:

http://ix.io/3q3y

The only difference should be only a few seconds during reboot, otherwise everything is exactly the same (hardware).

Thank you very much for any help,

Martin

• One driver is crashing:

• Hi,

I have a similar problem with my 3 Technotrend PCI DVB-C cards.

With Libreelec 10 Beta1 everything is working fine but since Beta2 the frontends are not initilized.

In beta1 I can find 3 adapters in /dev/dvb/ (adapter0,adapter1,adapter2) each with demux0 dvr0 frontend0 and net0.

Since beta2 there is only 1 adapter and only demux0 dvr0 net0, frontend0 is missing. Also since beta2 the system hangs at reboot because /flash cannot be unmounted.

I checked with the latest nightly.

You can find the output from dmesg here:

10 beta1 9.95.1

http://ix.io/3qdg

10 nightly 20210617

http://ix.io/3qdb

Thank you all for your hard work with Kodi and Libreelec

MadMax

• MadMax70 It's the same CC saa7146 driver.

In addition you have both CrazyCat and Digital Devices drivers enabled. That is not supported. Please use the LibreELEC driver selection addon to choose one driver package.

Also since beta2 the system hangs at reboot because /flash cannot be unmounted.

/flash can never be unmounted but the message is not visible with a working reboot. No idea why it is hanging.

• mglae

I was suspecting that it is the same driver. But I was not aware that the crazycat and Digital Devices drivers were enabled.

I checked and the driver addons were all disabled and I also used the modules selection to set the dvb drivers to the libreelec standard modules.

I will try a clean install of beta 4 and/or newest nightly on a new disk.

• /flash can never be unmounted but the message is not visible with a working reboot. No idea why it is hanging.

A driver crash can often lead to reboot hanging - if kernel is in a messed-up state driver may not shutdown cleanly and block forever (had that a couple of times with other drivers).

so long,

Hias

• A clean install of beta 4 did the trick.

I guess something goes wrong when updating from beta1 to a newer beta or recent nightlies and the driver module for saa7146 crashes at startup and prevents a clean reboot.

thanx to all and keep up the good work

MadMax

• I assume your message wasn't for me, because I definitely used the mentioned "LibreELEC driver selection" add-on.

But what can I do about one driver crashing? I can't do anything about it, or is there a solution? And what is it?

Edited once, last by mpavlis76 (June 17, 2021 at 9:09 PM).

• mpavlis76

sorry for hijacking your thread. As my problems where also with TechnoTrend cards I thought we might have the same issue.

Did you do a clean install of beta4 on your 2nd disk?

In your place I would try libreelec 10 beta1 (9.95.1) and check if your dvb-s cards are recognized with that version.

Good luck

MadMax

• - The CrazyCat drivers have been updated between 9.95.1 and 9.95.2. For tests of clean installations only 9.95.1 and latest nightly from test.libreelec.tv are required.

- For an easy clean installation test create the installation stick, boot it and type run at the Syslinux boot prompt. The system will only run from the USB stick and not modifying your installation.

• Yesterday I reinstalled beta 1 to compare it with the current state in beta 4. Unfortunately, the test did not go as I expected.

On beta 1, I did not find LibreELEC driver selection anywhere in the Kodi GUI, nor any of the discussed driver packages. I have no idea if they are somewhere else in the system (I'm still a big newbie on the Linux platform), but I simply couldn't find either in Kodi even after several reboots, etc. When I used the dmesg | paste command, it said something like that there was nothing to display, unfortunately I don't remember exactly.

So I installed beta 4 again and after booting LE, I repeatedly dismissed all prompts in the sense of whether I wanted to activate any of the driver packages. I only use LibreELEC driver selection and use that tool to activate CrazyCat drivers. Nothing more. Then I used dmesg | paste and I really can't get rid of the strong impression that the result is exactly the same as it was on beta 2, beta 3 and beta 4, i.e. -> a collapsed driver. In retrospect I realise that I missed beta 1 at the time, thanks to articles on a local blog that it was still a very fresh system.

Link: http://ix.io/3qC9

Can someone please confirm this feeling by looking at the attached log?

And is there any advice on how to actually proceed now and what to do about it?

Thanks guys!

• Hi,

it looks to me like it is again the saa7146 driver for the Technodtrend card is crashing. If I remember correctly the driver selection addon was not present in beta1 but I could be wrong because I don't need the TBS or DigitalDevices drivers.

Have you tried the suggestion from mglae?

- For an easy clean installation test create the installation stick, boot it and type run at the Syslinux boot prompt. The system will only run from the USB stick and not modifying your installation.

This way nothing on your disk will influence the libreelec system. If the saa7146 driver loads successfully you should find a file called frontend0 in the /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory (that is if the TechnoTrend driver loads first, if the TBS driver loads first it could be adapter4).

On my system something during the update from beta1 to beta2 messed things up so the saa7146 driver would crash. As I wanted to replace my system drive anyway I chose to wipe the new disk and did a fresh install of beta4 and the saa7146 did not crash.

Good luck

MadMax

• Update 29.6.2021>

After the release of beta 5, I performed exactly the same test as in the previous case, i.e.:

• clean install
    • using LibreELEC driver selection selected CrazyCat drivers

The result is still the same - driver crash: http://ix.io/3rqc and still: http://ix.io/3rq5

In truth, I'm totally desperate , because I don't know how to proceed.

Any idea, please?

• Hi,

I feel with you. This is a very unsatisfying situation. Can you try to use only the standard dvb drivers? This would result in the tbs card definetly not working but maybe the technotrend card could be recognized.

If I see it correctly something messes up the "kernel-overlay-setup" which also results in the nvidia.ko kernel module not being found.

Code
    [    1.333009] kernel-overlays-setup: setup base modules
    [    1.345633] kernel-overlays-setup: added modules from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/modules/5.10.41
    [    1.354198] kernel-overlays-setup: added firmware from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware
    [    1.354571] kernel-overlays-setup: adding overlays from /storage/.cache/kernel-overlays
    [    1.354728] kernel-overlays-setup: processing conf /storage/.cache/kernel-overlays/50-driver.dvb.crazycat.conf
    [    1.364114] kernel-overlays-setup: added modules from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/driver.dvb.crazycat/lib/modules/5.10.41
    [    1.364135] kernel-overlays-setup: running depmod
    [    1.373206] depmod: ERROR: fstatat(5, nvidia.ko): No such file or directory

For me this is the first indicator that something is going wrong.

As I stated before, I only have 3 TechnoTrend cards installed but something during the upgrade from beta1 to beta2 activated the crazycat and digital devices driver packs and even setting back the dvb drivers to standard with the driver selection addon didn't help.

I think maybe a developer ( mglae or HiassofT ?) or someone with more knowledge of the inner workings of the LibreELEC boot process could have a closer look.

Or maybe with the current kernel-overlays-setup system it is not possible to have different dvb cards installed that need drivers from the base system for one card and from eg the crazycat addon for the other.

Keep trying

MadMax