Lost in NOOBS!

• Hi,

Have happily run my RPI2 Libreelec for Kodi on a TV for some time. I know I must have got to know the OS when I first got it but have never pressed the shift button since.

I need to run an SMBserver (I use Macs and certain connections cannot be made) so thought I would use the RPI as I found a simple guide and have installed Samba on several machines so did not foresee any problems. LOL! What a disaster.

When I first tried to access the OS I was confronted with a NOOBS screen (v1.9 built March 2016. I can just about see the title and cannot see the language selector as the resolution seems out of kilter. I tried changing overscan settings and rebooting to check they were picked up but no change. In reading about NOOBS it appears only to be an installer and once run, should drop me into the OS. Is that right? Cos it isn't.

So I reinstalled Libreelec using NOOBS losing all my KODI settings. After resetting them all and rebooting to get to the OS, guess what`. It's Groundhog Day! I was right back where I started except the config file has changed in the overscan section (maybe others as well but it was overscan I was looking at). So presumably this is a slightly different version to the one I bought preloaded to the SD card from the Pi Hut.

Could someone help me:

1. Set the resolution so I can see the entire NOOBS information so I know what I can do with it?

2. Explain how I get past the NOOBS screen to a CLI so I can do some linux commands to install my Samba server?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Geoff

• Official Post

I don't really understand your post.

LibreELEC doesn't have anything to do with NOOBS. NOOBS provides the ability to install LibreELEC or other linux distrobutions.

You don't need NOOBS to install LibreELEC though as you can install LibreELEC directly to an sdcard instead.

If you want to use LibreELEC we already provide a built in samba server. If you want to use something else, you might have better luck on IRC or RPi forums.

• I don't really understand your post.

Hi Irusak,

This is a RP2 I bought with a preconfigured card. I have never added anything to it or (to my knowledge) accessed the Libreelec interface through the shift button before. So where has noobs come from? And how do I get rid of it?

I have used ssh to get in to the OS and can see it is protected so will not respond to any apt instructions. So how do I access the configuration files for the inbuilt Samba server as the KODI and Libreelec settings are pretty limited? I would like it to be a domain controller. I used to have a server on my iMac but for some reason it has stopped responding and I now cannot connect my vBox to my network media files on the iMac. The apple smb system works fine for almost every item on the network but the vBox. I have tried getting their support but it is a deprecated model so say they cannot help me.

I just thought running samba on the RPi2 in the background as a domain controller might be the answer but it os proving more difficult than I thought it would be.

If no one can help I will just give it up.

Geoff

3. Boot RPi2

4. Enable SSH in first run wizard (gives CLI that you don't need)

5. Leave Samba enabled in first run wizard (it's embedded, no need to install it)

Hi Chewitt,

I have done all that but (see the response above) I cannot access what I want.

How do I remove noobs? Or is this all I should see when I access the OS in Libreelec? Not that accessing it seems of any value as can get to it via ssh but it does not let me do anything with it. I guess this is what is intended so it does not get messed up?

I just thought it would be accessible for me to add to if. I wanted to but perhaps I am wrong.

More importantly, how do I get the OS to manage the TV correctly so I can see the whole page? Kodi is correctly using the screen at 1080 but as soon as I reboot Libreelec drops to 480 and going into the OS interface (which just gives the noobs page) is also at 480 and it is impossible to work with. None of the TV settings have any effect. I have tried disabling overdscan but it does not seem to do anything. Can I adjust something in the config file to get it to manage the screen properly?

Geoff

Edited 2 times, last by GeoffatMM: Merged a post created by GeoffatMM into this post. (May 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM).

• Official Post

You have installed LE via the Pi Foundation NOOBS installer; this installs the NOOBS environment and the files needed to run LE on-top of the NOOBS environment. NOOBS is not required, so all you need to do is download the LE 9.2.6 image for RPi2 and write this directly to the SD card using any SD image writing tool. Then you will boot directly into LE without NOOBS.