Frequency of the NTP queries

• Hi!

I use LibreElec (9.2.6 RPi2.arm) on Raspberry Pi 3b and after I included Pi-Hole in my network I noticed how many queries my LibreElec produces in my network. Specifically, there are on average about 20 NTP queries per minute. It seems to me a lot. I don't see the purpose of having so tight interval controlling the right time. Is this normal behavior? Can I somehow reduce the frequency of NTP queries? From my point of view once or twice in 24h should be enough.

Hope this is the right subforum here.

TIA,

Gunnar

• do you block the ntp queries or do they succeed?

if the system can't find a working ntp it is normal that it tries frequently

I don't block those queries, but I have no idea, how to control do they succeed or not

• Official Post

^ running "journalctl | grep ntp" on an idle Amlogic device in the network here shows a check every 17 mins; more frequent than I would have expected but also nothing too extreme. It's not 20/minute though. Can you corroborate that frequency with journal entries?

• running "journalctl | grep ntp" on an idle Amlogic device

grepping ntp from journalctl gave me no output. Before the original posting, I looked into /var/log, but this directory is completely empty. Is there any logging mechanism I am not aware of?

To test do the ntp-queries succeed, I set the system clock an hour too early, but after running a few hours it remains wrong. So seems, that the problem may be in unsuccessful ntp-calls.

Then I checked LE Network settings and noticed that Timeserver#-settings were actually empty. I set first as pool.ntp.org and after restart, I got from journalctl also ntp-set logging:

Code
    Apr 11 19:28:50 pildikast connmand[301]: ntp: adjust (jump): +65148582.224308 sec

This seems strange to me, but before setting up the timeserver-setting, it polled different nodes in pool.ntp.org but did not actually set the local clock. But now it does and does not pollute my Pi-Hole's log with not relevant queries.

Seems, we can close the case. Thank you all for the input!

Wbr,

Gunnar

• Official Post

For the record, on my RPi4 NTP is going off every 17m04s.

Code
    May 05 18:21:12 rpi4c connmand[507]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.007657 sec
    May 05 18:38:16 rpi4c connmand[507]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.013000 sec
    May 05 18:55:20 rpi4c connmand[507]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.004329 sec
    May 05 19:12:24 rpi4c connmand[507]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.008639 sec