Rasberry Pi 4 Widewine DRM?

• It will allow the widevine-helper add-on to download a 7MB libwidevinecdm.so file from Pi Foundation servers instead of having to download a 1.7GB ChromeOS update to unpack and extract the file, which is a nice improvement to user experience. It will make no difference to how widevine using streaming services operate, i.e. the formats or resolutions that can be used for media playback - there are no changes to widevine certification status.

• the raspberry pi3 gets with amazon vod add-on and libreelec 11.06 480p;

i suppose this will be the case also for raspberry pi4 or 5, if one wants to use Kodi/Libreleec instead of Android.

from the FAQ on Sandmann79/xmbc Wiki

How can I play movies in HD/UHD?

4K/HD playback is only possible with a Widevine L1 secured device (mostly Android, e.g. Shield, MiBox), all other devices are limited to SD resolution. For 4K playback as well as for the Android data source, the device has to be registered once at Amazon. For this, the login has to be performed again.

On Android you can enable the use android app for 4K videos at settings. This starts the video in the official prime video app and works only for videos with "UHD", "Ultra HD" or "4K" in the video title.

• i suppose this will be the case also for raspberry pi4 or 5, if one wants to use Kodi/Libreleec instead of Android.

Yes. If you need higher resolutions, get an Nvidia Shield or Amazon Fire device. Kodi runs as an app there.

• Yes. If you need higher resolutions, get an Nvidia Shield or Amazon Fire device. Kodi runs as an app there.

Thanks , i have looked at those, especially the Fire device seems economical;

but i have some "limitations":

device should be

1. no WiFi/Bluetooth (if yes, easy to disable)

2. IR-Remote

3. Internet through Ethernet adapter possible if no RJ-45

4. no fancy things like Alexa or similar eavesdropping mmic.

the closest i get there is either getting an older device but losing on CPU power (codec compatibility) like with a 2020 Amazon Fire Stick maybe (not, the remote is probably Bluetooth only), or an ROKU Ultra 2020 model, but those are not officially available in Europe and you need to do a "hack" to enable IR-Remote functionality since the Remote is normally done via Bluetooth (atleast that was the information got at the time via their forum). Ah yes, and if you use the remote via IR you lose the headphone port on the remote, but that is very minor issue;

Open to suggestions; have already bought once a China RK3218 i thingk device, which functin well, but you never know if the WiFi is off even when toggled off on the device;