LibreELEC-RR [ Brave | Spotify | Moonlight | Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus ]

• Hi SupervisedThinking

I really look forward to give this a try! Appreciate your efforts very much.

As upgrading an existing 9.x is not recommended... Could a fresh install and restore the 9.x backup work out? Reason is that I'd like to continue to run TVheadend and Hyperion.ng.

Thanks!

• Bub4 tvheadend should work flawless, I've upgraded my old 9.x build too with one of my images but that said I'm the one to face the music on my system ^^

A clean installation and restore should work fine as long as the addons come from official repos which offer Python3 compatible versions. The main reason why I recommend a clean install is that a lot of config files I provide have been updated, also config paths, symlinks... else & old version will interfere with that. Also you can only update old LE-RR builds because they have a partition size of 1024MB. But as I said this will lead to serious problems unless you're not in mood to dig through roughly 1000 commits of changes.

CvH any news about Hyperion.ng? Wasn't it somehow broken?

• to setup dhewm3 do I just copy over the patched pak files into the idtech directory in the sub-directory dhewm3?

I guess so, when I included the core there was not much information about it so I guess adding the files as dhewm3 mentioned in a directory and load them with the core should be fine.

Doom 3 Libretro core dhewm3 coming soon to Core Updater! – Libretro

EDIT:

just create some subfolder for each game in idtech & then load the pak file with the matching libretro core in retroarch, tested with q1, q2 & d3

• i seem to be at a bit of a loss at the moment, as far as the emulation side goes ive got zero sound. On the kodi side ive got sound and its set to alsa over hdmi or something along those lines. Is there something that i am missing to get the sound working?

• i seem to be at a bit of a loss at the moment, as far as the emulation side goes ive got zero sound. On the kodi side ive got sound and its set to alsa over hdmi or something along those lines. Is there something that i am missing to get the sound working?

You should have a look at the linked Wiki where the steps are described how to config the RR builds

• ElBoluTony  alisson please test LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-RR-20210323-5422dc4.img.gz moonlight should still work but detect the correct render mode without forced environment flags.

Running perfectly. No problems so far.

EDIT: moonlight is working always in native monitor/tv resolution. Even if set lower resolution Moonlight.conf it always uses native tv resolution. I just test in a 4K TV and the result are terrible (lot tearing). Maybe a bug in moonlight.

Edited once, last by alisson (March 24, 2021 at 11:05 PM).

• EDIT: moonlight is working always in native monitor/tv resolution. Even if set lower resolution Moonlight.conf it always uses native tv resolution. I just test in a 4K TV and the result are terrible (lot tearing). Maybe a bug in moonlight.

Well you alter/set the resolution of your gaming host/stream & not the resolution of the actual client. I guess the RPi4 struggles to render 4k properly. ElBoluTony made some similar experiences.

• Hi you all SupervisedThinking  alisson, sorry, i was out yesterday, i've made test in Doom Eternal and here are my results:

(Of course visually i can't check the 60FPS as the KMS driver doesn't render 4K60P).

Running perfectly. No problems so far.

EDIT: moonlight is working always in native monitor/tv resolution. Even if set lower resolution Moonlight.conf it always uses native tv resolution. I just test in a 4K TV and the result are terrible (lot tearing). Maybe a bug in moonlight.

Video Codec - Automatic (HEVC)

720p 60FPS - It tears the Screen, probably from the 60fps to 30fps conversion.

1080p 60FPS - It tears the Screen, probably from the 60fps to 30fps conversion.

4K 60FPS - Lags, and it's unplayable.

720p 30FPS - Lags a little, maybe it's 'cause i'm used to 60fps. no tearing whatsoever

1080p 30FPS - Lags a little, maybe it's 'cause i'm used to 60fps, no tearing whatsoever

4K 30FPS - Lags, and it's unplayable.

-----

Video Codec - H.264

720p 60FPS - Lags, but no tearing, weird, ckecked again after the log dump ¿Maybe H.264 doesn't render 720p/60fps and runs at 30fps?

1080p 60FPS - Lags and add some black frames Decoding artifacts. and later adds more lag.

4K 60FPS - Of course it's unsupported, but tried anyways, black screen.

720p 30FPS - Lags

1080p 30FPS - Lags. Decoding artifacts.

4K 30FPS - Of course it's unsupported, but tried anyways, black screen

-----

Video Codec - HEVC

4K 60FPS - Lags, and it's unplayable.

720p 30FPS - Lags a little, maybe it's 'cause i'm used to 60fps. no tearing whatsoever

1080p 30FPS - Lags a little, maybe it's 'cause i'm used to 60fps, no tearing whatsoever

4K 30FPS - Lags, and it's unplayable.

My best results with the current state is HEVC 720p/1080p 30FPS, and ignore completly the H.264 decoder if it is possible.

The tests were run in the same order as above (sorry for the english if it's broken) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6Si6k…iew?usp=sharing

Edited once, last by ElBoluTony (March 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM).

• Could you outline what you mean by:

Video Codec - Automatic (HEVC)

What does convert 60fps to 30fps? Or did you run 4k@30Hz and moonlight-qt? Though I also own 2 Samsung 4k smart TVs I only test my stuff with an AVR which is connected to a 1080p TV. I guess the overall performance is not good enough at the moment to run 4k@60Hz perfectly fine.

According to a RPi engineer the RPi4 has an own block to decode HEVC in hardware while H.264 will be decoded by MMAL. The v4l2 decoder for H.264 is not as fast as the MMAL one & needs a rewrite to achieve similar performance. So right now there is no way to decode H.264 with moonlight proper on a RPi4 with LE, maybe it would work with MMAL but LE removed all blob APIs for reasons.

All in all people probably should get rid of the idea to use a $40 SBC for 4k@60Hz ^^ At least for now ;)

Out of curiosity: could you force 1080p@60Hz by using this resolution in Kodi or by config.txt? Ideally there would be an additional option in moonlight to set the stream size but also the KMS mode.

• I am able to play perfectly smooth on monitors/tv with native 1080p resolutions at 30fps (depending on the game I get no problems at 60fps) or on my LG 1680x1050 monitor at 60fps (Perfection).

But if using a 4k TV the moonlight client automatically runs in 4k and i get terrible screen tearing, I have the same report as yours in 4k "Lags, and it's unplayable."

In summary here:

Monitor 1680x1050 = moonlight 1680x1050 = Perfect 1050 / 1080p 60fps

TV 1920x1080 = moonlight 1920x1080 = Perfect 1080p 30fps (some 60fps)

4k TV = moonlight 3840 x 2160 = looott screen tearing even setting 720p 30fps

• Well I guess the RPi4 is not able to handle streams at this resolution properly? HiassofT ping ^^

EDIT:
    you could try this:
    4K Video Playback on Raspberry Pi 4 with LibreELEC (Alpha)