HDMI VIDEO problem

• LibreELEC 7.90.008, now 7.0.2
    AMD PC, motherboard has nvidia VGA
    ATI Radeon HD3450 video card (is supported by the kernel)

When booting as soon as grub finishes the HDMI display goes black, if a VGA monitor is installed along with the HDMI, LibreELEC is on the VGA display.
    In Kodi I changed the monitor to HDMI(0) the HDMI stays black.

dmesg reports no errors and radeon does setup. There is a warning for radeon cursor locked.

On the same machine using another hard drive with Linux 16.04.

no display if only HDMI is connected, if VGA AND HDMI are connected, dual screen works, even if the VGA monitor is turned off.
    I did mess with display settings, having both turned on is the only thing that works.

I may have changed to the proprietary driver on Linux.

Is there a way to change to the proprietary driver in LibreELEC?
    Any other solutions/ideas?

Same computer and all hardware works fine with Windows; except that upon installation it had to have a VGA monitor attached as primary. After it was installed I could reassign the HDMI as primary and disconnect the VGA.

Edited once, last by donbrew (November 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM).

• Personally, I would stick to the Windows setup and do a Kodi installation. LibreELEC is focused on the new and upcoming GPU's, and not really up for solving issues with 9+ years old graphics cards. Get a simple Raspberry Pi 3 setup, and you'll even have a better video experience. You will also save plenty of money on your electricity bill.

Other than that, an ATI Radeon HD3450 video card, as well as Nvidia VGA ?!? Do we have to pick one? Disable the onboard video in the BIOS.
    No kodi, dmesg, or xrandr logs are supplied... Our hands are tied.

• Well this the logs when I run libreELEC from the thumbdrive. This install dmesg has odd stuff about kodi and nvidia. The hardrive won't load xorg without a VGA connected. I did try blank other display. tried setting to hdmi(0). doesn't get to Kodi unless a VGA is connected. The BIOS has init first option set to PCIe (the hd3450), other choices are "onboard" "PCI".
    These look odd to me, I have done nothing to this installation, but set the network up.

here is xorg.log
    _XSERVTransTransNoListen: unable to find transport: tcp Failed to disable liste - Pastebin.com
    here is dmesg
    jZRd
    Here is xrandr
    RjQf

• Something like success! Set BIOS to init display first PCI instead of PCIEx that works for Windows.

this worked for 7.0.02
    1. with VGA and HDMI attached
    2. change Kodi to hdmi0
    3. reboot
    4 change Kodi resolution to 1920 X 1820i
    5. reboot
    6. detach VGA
    7. reboot

But then updated to 7.90.008
    I'm still working on that.

does not work in 7.90.008 xorg server will not start with or without the VGA. Except; Sometimes after setting the res to 1920 X 1820i the bottom right quarter of Kodi appears on the upper left of both screens.

Re installing 7.0.2.

now 7.0.2 won't do it. Tomorrow is another full day to work on it. Most of the time xorg never gets to load, but linux is running I can usually SSH.

Edited once, last by donbrew (November 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM).

• Ok this time 7.0.2 running from USB drive after I set Kodi to hdmi0. No video on either screen, just the mouse pointer.

When I tried to reset the resolution to either 1920 X 1820i or 1240 X 720i the bottom right quarter of Kodi is displayed in the upper left corner of both displays, reverted back to the default res reboot got this.

dmesg

xrandr

Xorg log

The BIOS has init first option set to PCIe (the hd3450), other choices are "onboard" "PCI".
    Set BIOS to init display first PCI instead of PCIEx that works for Windows.

I did that.

BTW, pretty much the same problem with Ubuntu 16.04.

• I will try that in a while.

I just finished making Ubuntu 16.04 LTS work on the HDMI only!

This is what I did to install Ubuntu 16.04LTS with HDMI video only with ATI hd3450

BIOS set to init first Display PCI
    connect VGA and HDMI
    VGA will be primary, HDMI will be black
    run Ubuntu 16.04 installer
    Settings>Displays set Launcher placement to All displays
    Settings>Displays set resolution that works for HDMI (720p on mine)
    Open Terminal run "xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan on"
    Settings>Displays turn VGA off
    Add "display-setup-script=xrandr --output HDMI-0 set underscan on" to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    edited /home/.config/monitors.xml so only HDMI exists
    unplug VGA
    reboot

Without editing monitors.xml it worked, but a VGA monitor had to be plugged into the computer.

Edited once, last by donbrew (November 10, 2016 at 12:30 AM).