What "box" to buy ??

• Re: Why boot from SD card?

Too used to the way my Cubox's work...Didn't even think about doing it that way.

Could you explain how to do that? I've only used the supplied SD creator to "install" to the MicroSD that I then use in the Cubox. I don't know how to "install" from the USB (which was also created by the SD creator?) to the "storage" (e.g. to the internal eMMC?)

Edited once, last by spschneer (February 15, 2023 at 3:28 AM).

• Could you explain how to do that? I've only used the supplied SD creator to "install" to the MicroSD that I then use in the Cubox. I don't know how to "install" from the USB (which was also created by the SD creator?) to the "storage" (e.g. to the internal eMMC?)

The Generic image includes an installer; we assume that users boot from a USB stick and install LE to a HDD or SSD inside the box, although if you interrupt boot you can also skip the installer and run direct from the USB stick (one-time or persistently). On the ARM side of things we assume users are going to boot and run permanently from an SD card (or USB); either hooking vendor u-boot (on emmc) or using upstream u-boot that we created to boot into LE. ARM images don't support the installer .. hence you've never seen it with the Cubox.

• chewitt

Again Thank You for a perfectly clear explanation. Now I understand how it works.

BTW...I've sent back the mini-PC and am on the waiting list for a RPI 4 so I'll probably have a bunch of new questions once it comes in and I start building. In the meantime, I'm reading the Intro to RPi to get some background ....

• gadget_guy - The OrangePi 3LTS looks very nice...It appears to have everything (including wifi) that the RP4 has plus it is available...I might get one to experiment with...

chewitt : Any thoughts? For about the same as the RPi4 4GB I can get the OPI 3LTS and don't have to wait...how do the LE development futures compare?

• chewitt : Any thoughts? For about the same as the RPi4 4GB I can get the OPI 3LTS and don't have to wait...how do the LE development futures compare?

I don't have one so cannot talk from personal experience, but overall H6 is now well supported as a SoC. RPi4 will always have the advantage of Kodi support being actively, attentively, and directly maintained by RPi Foundation vs. the community led efforts for Allwinner devices; but it's maybe a thin advantage as Allwinner has a strong and active community and one of its major contributors is jernej our maintainer.

• I just recently picked up one of the new "Intel N95 alder lake" boxes (previously called Celeron, I believe - very low power draw, came with 8GB ram and a 256gb m2 drive installed); very inexpensive, unbelievably fast and I've confirmed it does full HW accelerated AV1 playback in the latest libreelec. Highly recommend (the box I got was off of amazon and some chinese brand I'd never heard of, so support is dubious at best).