Tl-WN722n dongle wifi speed problems

• Hello! I hope you guys are doing fine, I decided to create an account in the forum since a few days ago I started reading this forum and ended up recycling an old desktop pc to have LibreELEC.

I had read that the Tl-wn722n dongle was instantly recognized. Which is true, without drivers or anything special, works! The problem is that speedtest (in kodi) detects me 8mb download speeds (maximum 15 and in a very volatile way) when trying different distances with respect to my modem there was not much difference .. then I tried on another pc that I have with windows and with the same distance, the minimum speed that I was able to capture was 30-40mb (my internet connection via ethernet cable is 300 + mb download) so i searched a bit in google and i saw that that dongle need to download/touch some config in linux (is my first time with linux) so i really don't know how to open the linux command prompt from libreelec or something.. sorry if someone asked this before (didn't saw it) and thanks.. sorry if the questions is dumb!

• Console access: Log Files - LibreELEC.wiki

Hello! Thank you very much for your answer. I was able to access with putty, the problem is that the guide I was following made me use the apt-get command to download some Realtek drivers, but apparently it is not possible to do apt-get with LibreELEC.
    This problem seems to be quite common with this dongle, if you want I can provide you with some askubuntu links, the solution is always very similar from what I am reading

• ... I had read that the Tl-wn722n dongle was instantly recognized. Which is true, without drivers or anything special, works! The problem is that speedtest (in kodi) detects me 8mb download speeds (maximum 15 and in a very volatile way) ...

Don't think too much, you have an old WiFi adapter and not suitable for multimedia, not even using Windows. Your adapter could theoretically work but the requirements are so demanding that this is highly unlikely (the biggest problem in the 2.4GHz band is interference). Buy an adapter that works on the 5GHz band and your problems will disappear if your access point is not far away and the level of interference is small. Despite everything, from time to time you will see frozen images for a few moments.

Also take the opportunity to look at wikipedia something about WiFi networks Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, taking into account that the theoretical maximum speeds are half the link speed because they are half duplex links.

• Don't think too much, you have an old WiFi adapter and not suitable for multimedia, not even using Windows. Your adapter could theoretically work but the requirements are so demanding that this is highly unlikely (the biggest problem in the 2.4GHz band is interference). Buy an adapter that works on the 5GHz band and your problems will disappear if your access point is not far away and the level of interference is small. Despite everything, from time to time you will see frozen images for a few moments.

Also take the opportunity to look at wikipedia something about WiFi networks Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, taking into account that the theoretical maximum speeds are half the link speed because they are half duplex links.

I understand your point but don't take me the wrong way, maybe my English is a bit bad and I don't express myself correctly.

I live in Argentina, for several years this country has problems with the importation of products and if there is a very specific 5ghz model, the truth is that it is very unlikely that it exists in the local market, importing the product is a possibility (difficult, but possible) but the reality is that there is not a detailed list here (and from what I investigated in this forum there will not be) of dongles or wifi antennas that work directly out of the box, in fact yesterday I bought the Tl-WN722n because I read in this same forum that it worked (and it's true, it works but halfway)

As I told you, this does not have to do with interference and 2.4ghz bands since in my router I have an option to "scan" the other nearby wi-fi and see what channel they are on, yesterday I put my wifi on a channel that does not It was in use by nobody (neighbors), with the same usb extender I put the antenna literally 1 meter (3.3' feet) from my modem / router and the speed it received was the same (maximum 20mb) the antenna picks up and supports up to 150mb and my internet ranged between 300 and 320mb so if I would be receiving half of that I would be more than satisfied, I would be more than satisfied honestly, even with only 50mb.

Nor is it the wifi antenna since testing on a windows pc the mbps it receives is much higher (from 30 to 50mb)

As you can see this problem has already been solved in Ubuntu, but since LibreELEC is a custom linux for what I understand is not possible for the user to install those things.

wireless - WiFi connection run very slow in Ubuntu 16.04 (USB Stick) - Ask Ubuntu
    wireless - Internet speed slow on Ubuntu 18.04.1 with TP-LINK TL-WN821N - Ask Ubuntu
    networking - Internet speed really slow in linux but not in Windows - Ask Ubuntu

My ethernet speedtest :

• Sorry if my opinion bothered you, but it is based on experience, although I give you the reason that you can use your wireless adapter to watch multimedia in SD quality. When you get tired of your WiFi adapter, install an ethernet cable and you will see HD or 4K content without problems as the best alternative to installing a 5GHz WiFi adapter.

• Sorry if my opinion bothered you, but it is based on experience, although I give you the reason that you can use your wireless adapter to watch multimedia in SD quality. When you get tired of your WiFi adapter, install an ethernet cable and you will see HD or 4K content without problems as the best alternative to installing a 5GHz WiFi adapter.

Your answer has not bothered me at all, but I have seen that in this forum the developers have added or updated certain drivers when there were these types of problems (I searched the forum well before creating the account and creating a thread) On the other hand my problem with "trying" a different adapter is not only monetary. If it is not that I also do not know if the 5ghz antenna model that I could get is compatible with LibreELEC, since there is no list of compatible devices, then with that logic I should spend money on all the adapters / wifi antennas on the market until I find the one indicated and it does not seem very logical to do that.