Legacy v9.2 (LTS) builds for Amlogic S805/S8X2, S905/S912 and all WeTek boxes

• To me, hanging at 30-40% processor usage doesn't mean that the SoC is weak, but that the decoder is poorly optimized.
    Maybe the newer version will bring more performance improvements, or maybe rav1d.

Unfortunately, it is no coincidence that dav1d v1.0.0 was included, and not a newer version. Even for v1.0.0 it was not easy to backport and test the necessary ffmpeg modifications, but for v1.3.0 a lot of things would have to be modified. Since Leia's ffmpeg is an old version, even if I wouldn't call it an impossible task, it's not worth spending so much time, because I don't think the situation would improve much.

However, dav1d v1.3.0 is already present in the LE12 AMLGX image, so if you want to give it a try, I recommend you try that.

I want to keep using the old device so it doesn't end up in the trash, not buy a new one, if software solution is possible.

No one suggested throwing it into the trash, but compared to H.265, I don't know how much better the AV1 codec really is, especially because the hardware acceleration of HEVC is still available on S905. By the way, software decoding always causes unnecessary heat dissipation for the SoC, and knowing this, I no longer see the point, because it is no longer energy efficient anymore.

• However, dav1d v1.3.0 is already present in the LE12 AMLGX image, so if you want to give it a try, I recommend you try that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another try. I tried the 11.0.3 version and unfortunately the bluetooth didn't work and I'm not sure if the Realtek driver for WiFi is included. The system you made also had WiFi with the non-Realtek dtb but it was not stable. So I don't know if I can find a dtb that works properly with the new system, that's why I tried the one you made.

No one suggested throwing it into the trash, but compared to H.265, I don't know how much better the AV1 codec really is, especially because the hardware acceleration of HEVC is still available on S905. By the way, software decoding always causes unnecessary heat dissipation for the SoC, and knowing this, I no longer see the point, because it is no longer energy efficient anymore.

The playback efficiency does not bother me so much, I have modified the cooling of my tv-boxes. It can't go above 5W anyway.
    However, my experience with AV1 is that it has much better picture quality at the same size / bitrate. Or, for the same image quality, about half or 2/3 the file size. I transcoded my old H.264 movies (with CRF 20, PSNR, preset 10 settings) and had one that was down to 1/6th.
    H.265 is a thing of the past, it's obsolete, I don't think H.266 will be very widespread because of the license fees, and anyway AV2 is already being developed.
    So I want to preserve my recordings in the best possible codec for my own use.

• thanks dtek for all your work,

So I got an ancient dvbs2 wetek 1 running, and updated today to you 9.2.8 build.

Ive updated to the latest compatible tvheadend I could find, which I think is;

http://build.mycvh.de/Tvh-LE9.0/4.3-1774-01.03.2019/WeTek_Play-service.tvheadend42-4.3-1774.zip

On startup tvh fails though

Code
    ./tvheadend: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

while version running is;

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # openssl version
    OpenSSL 1.1.1v  1 Aug 2023

Now I tried to do some ln -s magic

but

Code
    LibreELEC:/usr/lib # ln -s libssl.so.1.1 libssl.so.1.0.0
    ln: libssl.so.1.0.0: Read-only file system

What should I do? Or is upgrading the only viable path? :))

• Ai, since I run the whole operation through cli, some 60 miles away, that is not an option unforutnately. What is the source of this 4.3 addon? Can I manually mine this repo? A link would be appreciated :))

• Ai, since I run the whole operation through cli, some 60 miles away, that is not an option unforutnately. What is the source of this 4.3 addon? Can I manually mine this repo? A link would be appreciated :))

Unfortunately, the directory index on my server is hidden under the package repositories (due to the search robots), so I can only provide a direct link to the binary at most:

https://libreelec.dtech.hu/packages/9.2.0/WeTek_Play/arm/service.tvheadend43/service.tvheadend43-9.2.0.225.zip

• ill install it later tongiht and report back, I hope it all works, or else my wetek simply imploded

Mainly because of the distance, I also recommend another addon, which is also available in my repo, and this is the VNC addon.

With this, you will also see the GUI, provided that there is a display on the box:

https://libreelec.dtech.hu/packages/9.2.0/WeTek_Play/arm/service.system.aml-vnc/service.system.aml-vnc-9.2.0.106.zip

• Unfortunately I dont have a screen attached, on a postive note 4.3 works.

Getting it to boot at startup I fail to edit something;

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/service.tvheadend43/system.d # rm service.tvheadend43.service
    rm: remove 'service.tvheadend43.service'? y
    rm: can't remove 'service.tvheadend43.service': Read-only file system

I am trying to symbolic link

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.config/system.d # ln -s ./service.tvheadend43.service /storage/.kodi/addons/service.tvheadend43/system.d/service.tvheadend43.service
    ln: /storage/.kodi/addons/service.tvheadend43/system.d/service.tvheadend43.service: File exists

I cannot mount it rw, no matter what I try.

On a side note I am trying to edit /.cache/config/sshd.conf as well to increase timeout, but I cannot edit it either due to Read only filesystem.

Any suggestions on making it rw?

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /storage
    mount -o remount,rw /flash

To no avail

• menn0

It looks like a total mess what you're doing on the console. :|

Even though the binary doesn't start due to an error, the service is probably still running in the background. That's probably why you can't delete it because it's currently in use. First you need to stop that:

systemctl stop service.tvheadend43

But why do you want to delete this service file? I don't see any sense in this.

And, I don't even understand that symlinking. This will in no way lead to results.

Installing, deleting and updating binary addons without the GUI is a quite problematic.

• Hello dtech. I have a question about assembly for X8-X8H. I own a MINIX Neo X8-H device. It claims 2 GB of RAM, but in the system information I see that the system only detects 1553 MB of RAM. Is this how it should be? or do I need to configure something?

Edited once, last by dtech: Unnecessarily large font size. (October 28, 2023 at 2:47 PM).

• Hello dtech. I have a question about assembly for X8-X8H. I own a MINIX Neo X8-H device. It claims 2 GB of RAM, but in the system information I see that the system only detects 1553 MB of RAM. Is this how it should be? or do I need to configure something?

You will be surprised, but you are not the first to ask this. Kodi displays the amount of memory it can use as total memory.

If you run a dmesg, it also becomes clear to you that the device pre-allocates certain memory areas for some built-in purpose.

For example, it looks like this for the M8S-Plus:

In addition, a few other things require reserved memory, so in the end this will be the amount that can actually be used freely:

Code
    [    0.000000@0] Memory: 64MB 16MB 1460MB = 1540MB total
    [    0.000000@0] Memory: 1545608k/1545608k available, 31352k reserved, 1250304K highmem

I hope it's clear now.

• Dtech, thanks for the quick response. I understand you. But there is another problem, and it is related to wi-fi. For some reason, when connected to 5G Wi-Fi, the TVbox periodically restarts itself and loses the network. On 2.5g there is no such problem - everything works stably. Maybe the problem is related to the Wi-Fi channels?

Edited once, last by dtech: Unnecessary code block usage (October 30, 2023 at 8:55 AM).

• Dtech, thanks for the quick response. I understand you. But there is another problem, and it is related to wi-fi. For some reason, when connected to 5G Wi-Fi, the TVbox periodically restarts itself and loses the network. On 2.5g there is no such problem - everything works stably. Maybe the problem is related to the Wi-Fi channels?

Why doesn't anyone read the leading post of this topic?

IMPORTANT NOTES - Please read them carefully before asking:

• I can't do miracles with the wifi and bluetooth drivers built into the kernel, so I can't do anything about "cannot connect", "the signal is weak" or "the connection is slow" errors either, so please don't expect a solution from me.
  • The thread is 50 pages now. Should I close it? Users don't read the whole story anymore.

No one needs to read the whole thing, I was just referring to the very first post.

I don't want to close this topic yet, because I'm still adding minor updates to it.

Latest version: LibreELEC 9.2.8.11 (Release date: 2023-09-11)

^ In short, this topic is not completely dead yet.

• Don't be angry) did you know that because of this the console goes into reboot? let it lose connection, but rebooting is not a logical behavior for a TV set-top box when there is no connection

Edited once, last by dtech: Unnecessarily large font size. (November 4, 2023 at 6:06 AM).