Posts by Tartarus

However, dav1d v1.3.0 is already present in the LE12 AMLGX image, so if you want to give it a try, I recommend you try that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another try. I tried the 11.0.3 version and unfortunately the bluetooth didn't work and I'm not sure if the Realtek driver for WiFi is included. The system you made also had WiFi with the non-Realtek dtb but it was not stable. So I don't know if I can find a dtb that works properly with the new system, that's why I tried the one you made.

No one suggested throwing it into the trash, but compared to H.265, I don't know how much better the AV1 codec really is, especially because the hardware acceleration of HEVC is still available on S905. By the way, software decoding always causes unnecessary heat dissipation for the SoC, and knowing this, I no longer see the point, because it is no longer energy efficient anymore.

The playback efficiency does not bother me so much, I have modified the cooling of my tv-boxes. It can't go above 5W anyway.
    However, my experience with AV1 is that it has much better picture quality at the same size / bitrate. Or, for the same image quality, about half or 2/3 the file size. I transcoded my old H.264 movies (with CRF 20, PSNR, preset 10 settings) and had one that was down to 1/6th.
    H.265 is a thing of the past, it's obsolete, I don't think H.266 will be very widespread because of the license fees, and anyway AV2 is already being developed.
    So I want to preserve my recordings in the best possible codec for my own use.

In the meantime, I also downloaded a couple of AV1 test videos, and the end result is quite miscellaneous. There are videos that have become smoother with the new version, but there are also videos that are much worse. Unfortunately, updating the software does not help, this SoC is really weak for this task.

To me, hanging at 30-40% processor usage doesn't mean that the SoC is weak, but that the decoder is poorly optimized.
    Maybe the newer version will bring more performance improvements, or maybe rav1d.
    I want to keep using the old device so it doesn't end up in the trash, not buy a new one, if software solution is possible.

Tartarus

Unfortunately, you should not rely on the results of these bencmarks, because these do not say anything about internal architectural changes, such as memory controller, cache size and clock, internal instruction set, etc.

AnTuTu and similar tests will never really show the differences between the functions you need, these will only tell you a ratio value, which is an average of everything. Meanwhile, software media encoding functions may be up to 2 times, but even up to 10 times as fast, if some other function degrades this ratio, which has not changed, or has become weaker compared to the previous one.

I made a snapshot image with the dav1d 1.0.0 and the necessary ffmpeg patch updates, please check if there is any change in AV1 decoding performance:

https://libreelec.dtech.hu/snapshots/2023…update_a74c19c/

Many thanks for your work. Unfortunately the playback is no better, maybe even worse, like a slide show. During playback, the hardware is not fully utilised at all, with the processor cores running at 30-40%. I suppose it's not govenor dependent, clock speed is constantly at 1500MHz.

There is a sizeable raw compute performance difference between S905 ([email protected]) and S905X3 ([email protected]+) hardware.

I'm not saying there's no difference, just not so big that lower resolution movies can't be watched fluently with software decoding.
    For example, this site says there is only a 25% difference in performance. Of course, it could be buggy and much bigger, I don't know, but the newer version could definitely improve the number of frames per second.

Thank you very much, and also for the speed. All buttons work perfectly.

It would be great if you could manage to replace it with a newer version, because for example on my S905X3 TV box (CE 20.2) the playback is fluid even with 1080P AV1 movies, but unfortunately on S905 720p also stutters, although there is no big difference in raw computing performance. I started converting my movie collection to AV1 a while ago, because of their size, and since HandBrake released svt-av1 codec it goes very fast with almost no loss.

For example, this old test shows that the codec is getting better and better with each version, with less and less processing power.

Dear dtech,

Can you help me why I cannot set up the remote control for my Beelink Mini MX III (S905, 2G, 1Gb, RealtekWiFi)? I have tried several remote.conf files, including one that worked perfectly with CE 9.2.8. Also with AmRemote and Meson IR files. Of special interest is that it doesn't respond at all to its own remote control, but it does take some of the signals from my Vontar X3.

In addition, I would like to ask what dav1d decoder is in the latest release? I mainly want to play 720p AV1s with it in the future. If not the latest could it be updated somehow?

Thanks for your help in advance.