updating to latest kodi says not enough space

• Install fresh copy into new SD card and run from it. Your media library should be on other media device, if you did it right. It won't hurt to do basic reinstall as you can rollback to old version, if you can't figure how to transfer settings from old setup to new one.

• teknokat

going from 17.6 to 18.5 should not give you problems in the system partition size the only problem you may have is that the data partition is also full you should check the free space on it and see if enough for storing the update file there in the first place let us know if that is the case thanks

• hi thanks for quick reply,i spoke to my grown up son who has same box as me witch by the way he doesnt use much he fired it up and he noticed while trying to update to newer version it was behaving like mine he is a lot more teckie than me and he thinks the box needs formatting somehow because the old image was230mb and the new one is much larger so in theory it wont fit,i understand what you are saying about the data partition could be full but how can it be reduced? i hope the attachments help thanks again.

• Get new libreelec installation on other 8GB card. Teckie can get extra space by reducing size of second partition, but it is far more complex operation than getting new install and it is not worth the time.

• Okay... Ivy Bridge. PCs with that old board should still work. I have one myself.

Installations for generic (PC) computers is a 2-step process:

- First you create the installer USB stick using the LibreELEC disk image file.

- Secondly you boot the installer USB onto your PC, and then install LibreELEC onto your PC's HDD or SSD. Or, onto a 2nd USB stick if you will.

• thanks tokul,i am using usb to update i will try another one,how do you reduce the partition size,i have done hard reset lots of times and the box is empty apart from kodi 17.6 been on i have used the libreelec usb creator and followed all instructions,i have used linux64bit system is that what i need but i still get the same errors . thanks

• hi thanks for quick reply,i spoke to my grown up son who has same box as me witch by the way he doesnt use much he fired it up and he noticed while trying to update to newer version it was behaving like mine he is a lot more teckie than me and he thinks the box needs formatting somehow because the old image was230mb and the new one is much larger so in theory it wont fit,i understand what you are saying about the data partition could be full but how can it be reduced? i hope the attachments help thanks again.how to reduce data partiion or even better how to format drive and start again.thanks

• OpenELEC installs had a 230MB boot partition. Older LE releases are under this size, but around v8.2 we rew larger and the .tar update file is now too large to unpack into the boot partition. To expand the boot partition you need to boot from an Ubuntu or similar Live USB and use Gparted to shrink the storage partition, then move it to the end of the disk to create space af the beginning of the disk, and then the boot partition can be expanded. This is generally very slow and a bit complex for most users, so the alternative is to make a backup, move it off box, then clean install (overwriting the previous install). This will give you a 512MB boot partition. You can then either restore the backup you made, or (often better) redo the box configuration which will clear out years of the cruft that accumulates in Kodi installs.

• thanks for help matter now resolved, i sorted by going into bios and changing boot order to have my usb stick be number 1 in the boot order menu and update by usb with new version and follow instructions to let it update and it is working fine:):):):)