Browsing network folder

• I have shared media library on a NAS. In the media folder I have folder for background images for each menu on the Kodi homepage, Video, Movie, TV, Favorites, Quit, so that I can have the same images on each system an by simply changing the images in one folder change the background for all system. On a previous version of LibreELEC it was possible to browse too the mounted network folder to choose witch folder to use for the background, but a while a go this option disappeared. Now I only see two local folder and can only browse the local file system. I don't think this is a skin problem as I am using the same skin on Windows and there the browsing works fine. Does anybody have an idea of what is wrong and if it fixable?

• but a while a go this option disappeared.

Kodi and LibreELEC now default to SMBv2, as is well recommended. SMBv1 contains countless of security holes.

So it's possible your NAS is only capable of doing SMBv1.

There are settings in the LibreELEC addon and in the Kodi GUI to still do SMBv1, but for obvious reasons, not very recommended. Also, SMBv2 and up requires the network user of the SMBv2 server to have a password in its credentials.

• I don't know if it helps, but I am uploading two images to show the difference between the same menu in Windows and RPi.

Settings on my RPi

screenshot-RPi.png

Same menu on Windows

screenshot-Windows.png

Edited once, last by Nuts (December 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM).

• That is why I have disabled SMBv1 on my NAS. The problem is not with SMB since I can browse the files, but only in this single place in settings that only allows me to select images locally.

• SMB - Official Kodi Wiki

Note: SMB v1 is not supported in Kodi. SMB v2 or higher must be used.

This page will detail how to add a network source to Kodi using SMB. It assumes you have already correctly set up your SMB network. If you have not set up your SMB network, a Google search will return numerous online guides.

SMB (remote or network) server locations can be accessed with either of the following methods:

IP address

If using the IP Address method, ensure you reserve a DHCP address (static IP) for your NAS or other hardware. This ensures that your router will always allocate the same IP address to the server. If you choose not to do this, then you may find that the router has allocated a different address to your NAS and Kodi will no longer be able to access the media files.

To reserve a static IP address, log into your router and add the MAC address of the hardware to the Reservation list in your Router. If you do not know the MAC address, you should see it in the list of connected clients.

Device Name

If using Windows PC's you can use the Device Name of the PC. The Device Name can be found in Settings > System > About on your Windows PC.

• Sources are in /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml .. so SSH into the box and use the nano text editor to edit the file, the format is quite simple to work with and I find some copy/paste in nano is much easier than using a remote to set host/share info in the GUI.