Is it possible already to set up a rpi4 with kernel 5.4?

• Hello,

I would like to set up an rpi4 with the latest kernel 5.4, because of general problems with usb3. I would like to run a hauppauge dvb-c/t stick, and a usb3 ssd. I had problems with that when i tried it with LE 9.2.4 or 9.2.5 several weeks ago, because of that, I went back to a pi3b.

Is there a beta build or a guide how this can be done?

Thank you,

Stefan

• I don't remember the details, but I'll test the next hours.

I think the firmware was up to date - which version is that at the moment?

the same usb3-adapter and ssd run with full speed with a raspbian pi4 and kernel 5.4.

perhaps it has to do with the hauppauge usb2-device too.

one additional problem was, that the tvh server addon 4.2 doesn't work correctly in libreelec.

• SSD will significantly outperform most USB 3 sticks, especially cheap ones.

I've been running my Pi4B from SSD for about a year now (bootloader on sdcard, then boots & runs off SSD) and have quite enjoyed the experience. Now that it can boot SSD natively I can probably retire that sdcard.

• Setup is ok, but the external hd/ssd adapter doesn't work. It is not recognized. and I get errors like this:

em28xx 1-1.1:1.0: write to i2c device at 0xc8 failed with unknown error (status=128)

I don't know how to show the actual firmware version. Please help!

• To show the currently installed bootloader version / config:

rpi-eeprom-update

vcgencmd bootloader_version

vcgencmd bootloader_config

Make sure you have the HDD adapter powered properly (external power is best, although for SSD HDD it should not be necessary but depends on HDD model).

BTW. em28xx is NOT the HDD adapter, this is your DVB-C/T USB stick (which may be also a bit power hungry)

Regarding to newer kernel, you may try the latest test LE 9.80 Nightly build from today which already has 5.10.1 kernel version ( LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.80-nightly-20201219-c7aa22f.tar )

The firmware version check / update can be easily done from Kodi - Settings - Libreelec - Updates - Firmware Updates

An alternative upgrade to the latest USB firmware:

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget -c https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom/raw/master/firmware/stable/vl805-000138a1.bin 
    rpi-eeprom-update /tmp/vl805-000138a1.bin
    reboot
    #

An alternative upgrade to the latest (stable) bootloader:

Edit (2022-08-05) - bootloader link updated to current stable version

Edited 26 times, last by ghtester: Updated text and link to bootloader. (August 5, 2022 at 3:04 AM).

• Well, write speeds sure are better on a SSD than on a SDcard. And they last longer, I've binned a couple of SDcards in the last 2 years.

I'm using a Startech.com USB3/SATA cable adapter and an almost 12-yr old prehistoric 60GB OCZ Vertex 1 (sata II) SSD.

60 GB for LE !? :/

16 GB are enough? Why so much? ;)

• Maybe there's not only LE... And in this case the 60 GB is really not so much...

I have 40 GB SATA HDD and there's multiboot - RPi OS and LE.

Also for some recordings from Live TV it's always good do have some space.

Edited once, last by ghtester (December 19, 2020 at 2:50 PM).

• Thank you ghtester,

the nightly installed ok, but tvh 4.2 is not compatible, and tvh 4.3. 1906 can't be installed because some dependency couldn't be resolved..

Is there a solution for this?

• thank you ghtester! I don't know how to activate different plugins in a nightly build - i just installed it by putting the tar file in the "updates" smb folder.

when i browse through the kodi addon menus, the versions you mentioned don't show up. what am i missing?

ah sorry.. I just found a website containing all the plugins as zipfiles. did you mean that?

there is an error with the install - kodi gives a message that the zip doesn't have the correct structure.

i used : 9.80.8-RPi4-arm-service.tvheadend42-9.80.8.125.zip

Edited 2 times, last by stefan327 (December 19, 2020 at 4:09 PM).

• No problem.

I have upgraded to LE 9.80 couple weeks / months ago so you may be in different situation. I am sure I had to reinstall some (or even all) old add-ons (one time, after upgrade from LE 9.2.6 to 9.80 nightly) and I did NOT need to install them from .zip or from another 3rd party source.

Subsequent 9.80 nightly build upgrades are sometimes upgrading the installed add-ons automatcally.

You should be able to visit Kodi Settings - Add-ons - Install from repository - All repositories (or LibreELEC Add-ons Team LibreELEC - 9.80.8 which should be also visible there).

Then (after old versions are uninstalled and device rebooted) install:

> Services - Tvheadend Server 4.2 Team LibreELEC - 9.80.8.125

> PVR clients - Tvheadend HTSP Client Adam Sutton.... 8.1.2.1

BTW. in Settings - System - Add-ons I have enabled Unknown sources and set Update official add-ons from > Official repositories only (default)

If nothing works and you don't mind the current settings, start the fresh LE 9.80 nightly installation from scratch using the .gz image.

Edited 9 times, last by ghtester (December 19, 2020 at 5:33 PM).