which nightly image for cubox

• I can confirm this working for Wandoards.

• Hi there,

Cubox i2eXw is also working this way. Thanks.

At the moment I was still using an legacy OpenELEC 7 image (which was providing HW accelerated video playback) and was trying to get a running Armbian system with MESA HW acceleration on this small box. Two weeks ago I found these newer LibreELEC images and tried one. The image contained only one .dtb file, which didn't boot. The Armbian system used a v15-dtb, so I tried this one from the Kernel image-TAR - and now system is up and running.

To have only one image you should put all the .dtbs in one sub-directory and let the FDTDIR-tag point to this folder.

btw: Is there already a topic to discuss IMX.6 specific experiences, bugs etc. ?

• As much as I like the simplicity and conformity of the extlinux arrangement vs. older "bootscript" approaches I am slso super keen on things that drive simplicity in the installation user experience, it's something that has always been a hallmark of LE/OE etc. and shipping 3x images or even 1x image instead of the current 6-8 rather weirdly named images could be a solid improvement.

I don't have any iMX6 hardware so I won't be able to test anything, but (speaking for myself) I'd like to see the PR.

• Maybe we could discuss some of the remarks still in this topic and merge them to a solution:

- What is the preferred position to do the changes? Inside the NXP project (as by-gnome is using) or outside in the global scripts?

- dtb files should be placed in / folder beside the kernel file

- As both are using FDTDIR in extlinux.conf, maybe they both will require an additional patch of extlinux.conf during update, moving from a dl-/q-based image to the independent one?

- direct adressing of files is preferred instead of using wildcards (*cubox*.dtb)

As I shot forward maybe too quickly, I have no problems in recalling my PR for a better approach, just let me know.

• Current "box" images use a "dtb" subfolder when there are a large number of dtb files (Amlogic has 30+ now) but I think when there are smaller numbers of files (cubox/udoo/wandboard are under 10x each) it's okay to keep them in the root folder. This also preserves backwards compat with currnent single-device images as although the content in new extlinux.conf will be difference (using FDTDIR) the file layout didn't change so the same update script we use with Amlogic will work fine for updating dtb (not dtbs).

Overall I prefer to keep the changes within the iMX6 project in the mkimage and release scripts as by-gnome has done. If we want to limit support to specific boards we need to be explicit in picking them by name. Otherwise there is precedent for *cubox* etc. since I do the same with Amlogic to add the dtbs for the SoC families we support only.

• I merged all suggestions in the @by-gnome proposed project files in a new branch.

I also prepared a solution for the NXP/imx6 update.sh script.

How to proceed? Would you like to review the other files in advance, should I close this PR and start a new one based on the other branch or... ?

• I merged all suggestions in the @by-gnome proposed project files in a new branch.

I also prepared a solution for the NXP/imx6 update.sh script.

How to proceed? Would you like to review the other files in advance, should I close this PR and start a new one based on the other branch or... ?

You can force push your changes in the same branch and PR will be automaticaly updated.

• Seeking doesn't work .. I've been told something is missing from the hardware decoder (and the UAPIs for stateful decoders are still not finalised) but playback seems to work. I also have support for the Texas Instruments WiFi/BT in the newer Cubox-i version working and will push changes for that.

• Hi, I am super happy to hear that LibreElec 10 will also land on the Cubox-i! I already installed the nightly from 1.5.2021 and my first impression was: wow this is almost even faster. At second glance, however, some things did not work. For example, videos that I had recorded with the last working LibeElec version for Cubox-i were played in a wrong format and not synchronized with sound and video. And partly the playback was quite jerky. I read here that testers for the iMX6 platform are wanted: Upcoming changes – LibreELEC

I'm happy to help if you tell me what tests you need and what debug info.