No boot issue rpi 4

• Hello,

i have problem with libreelec boot on Rpi 4. I try ver. 9.2.6 and ver.9.1.002. I try use official boot SD card creater and BalenaEtcher.

Same problem no boot, only black screen. SD card 16GB

Thank you for help.

• I would also try to use some USB mass storage instead of SD card - I have experienced some SD cards (despite NOT cheap) were not fully compatible with RPi 4B.

When booting from USB, it's just necessary to put dtparam=sd_poll_once=on to /flash/config.txt (otherwise there're SD card related errors filling log).

Also make sure you have the latest (at least stable) bootloader version installed ( rpi-eeprom/release-notes.md at master · raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom · GitHub ).

• I would also try to use some USB mass storage instead of SD card

USB booting on the RPi4 may require a firmware update first... depending on the manufacturing date of his RPi4. So that could put into a chicken-egg situation. The 'simplest' option for me was to install Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) onto an SDcard, and update both kernel & USB firmware to enable USB booting.

• USB booting on the RPi4 may require a firmware update first...

Yes you are right but the firmware is a part of OS (lies on partition on SD card / USB flash), bootloader is inside of RPI's eeprom. If you replace the SD card, you also replace the firmware. That's why I mentioned the bootloader needs to be upgraded to latest version first (and perhaps configured properly but a default should be OK), this is an essential task (ther're also some updates related to SD cards compatibility so it's good to upgrade anyway). As soon as this is done, he can boot directly from USB mass storage device with LE 9.2.6 image which already contains the proper firmware.

The 'simplest' option for me was to install Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) onto an SDcard, and update both kernel & USB firmware to enable USB booting.

Yes that's true, the Bootloader EEPROM and VIA USB3 Firmware (which by the way shoud be also at latest version 00138a1) can be updated from running LE but in this specific case when LE can't boot I would also go through Raspberry Pi OS placed on the same SD card using the official Raspberry Pi Imager to check if the SD card is working ever with his RPi 4B.

Edited 7 times, last by ghtester (December 1, 2020 at 9:50 AM).