Bigger HDD is required when updating my KODI.

• Hi

A while ago, (months and months) i was trying to update my media PC player with libreELEC but it halted and said that i needed more space to be able to continue.

Now i have finaly taken out the harddrive but i forgot to see what version i had. :) I think it was 16.x something...

So for me to update and get a bigger one (the one inside is 40gb Intel SSD 2.5" drive) i have a ASUS S1-AT5NM10E Barebone for the task. Does any new SSD work?

Thanks in advanced!

• Your initial problem was not with the total size of your SSD, but that older OpenELEC/LibreELEC versions created a rather small boot partition (/flash on the filesystem) which now became too small. Re-installing current LE (wiping your previous partitions) will fix that.

Current LibreELEC will work fine even on an 8GB SSD/SD-card/HDD, although I'd really recommend going for 32GB (or more) to have some spare room for larger movie libraries. If you want to store media files on your SSD/HDD/... you'll need a lot more space, of course.

so long,

Hias

• You have two choices:

a) Grow the boot partition by booting from another OS (e.g. Ubuntu LiveUSB) and using "gparted" to shrink and relocate the storage partition by 256MB so the boot partition can be made larger. This is not hard to do, but normally a very slow operation even with an SSD in the box.

b) Make a backup of the current storage partition, move it off-box, then clean install the same LE version to get the larger (512MB) boot partition and then restore the backup you took.

I'd personally take a third option:

c) Make a backup oof the current storage partition, move it off-box, then clean install the latest LE version and then unpack the backup and selectively restore DB files and config .. then reinstall add-ons at latest versions. In short, do a spring clean of the install, but keep the essentials from the old.

• Your initial problem was not with the total size of your SSD, but that older OpenELEC/LibreELEC versions created a rather small boot partition (/flash on the filesystem) which now became too small. Re-installing current LE (wiping your previous partitions) will fix that.

Current LibreELEC will work fine even on an 8GB SSD/SD-card/HDD, although I'd really recommend going for 32GB (or more) to have some spare room for larger movie libraries. If you want to store media files on your SSD/HDD/... you'll need a lot more space, of course.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for this glad news. :)

How can i re-install the current LE the easiest way? Should i reassembly my mediaplayer pc and do it from there or can i attache it to my pc and re-install the new LE from there so it creates this new size of the boot-partition?

HiassofT is right: If a too small OS partition is your problem, you don't need to buy an SSD. Just enlarge the OS partition with an appropriate tool like GParted. I suggest to give 1GB to the OS partition (LIBREELEC / OPENELEC), and assign the rest to the user data partition (STORAGE).

This is as i said to the answer before you! Thanks!

You have two choices:

a) Grow the boot partition by booting from another OS (e.g. Ubuntu LiveUSB) and using "gparted" to shrink and relocate the storage partition by 256MB so the boot partition can be made larger. This is not hard to do, but normally a very slow operation even with an SSD in the box.

b) Make a backup of the current storage partition, move it off-box, then clean install the same LE version to get the larger (512MB) boot partition and then restore the backup you took.

I'd personally take a third option:

c) Make a backup oof the current storage partition, move it off-box, then clean install the latest LE version and then unpack the backup and selectively restore DB files and config .. then reinstall add-ons at latest versions. In short, do a spring clean of the install, but keep the essentials from the old.

While you guys is answering i will attache the SSD to my pc and see if i can resize it from there. Thanks!

Edited 2 times, last by ToddeSwe: Merged a post created by ToddeSwe into this post. (November 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM).

• Hi!

I'm not sure what to increse here.... please help :)

It's the last disc that i have connected to my pc.

EDITED: I can see now that i no longer have the resize option for this device, how come?

Or is it easier to just download the latest version and install it to the SSD?

But when i am looking at the download page there's several different for different hardware, whitch one should i use for my setup?

S1-AT5NM10E

• CPU. Intel® Atom™ D525 (onboard) Processor. Socket 775.
    • Chipset. Built-In Chipset : ...
    • Memory. 2 x SO-DIMM Single Channel DDR3 800 MHz. ...
    • Expansion Slots. 1 x Mini PCI-e x1 (WIFI/BT card)
    • Graphic. Integrated NVIDA ION II GT218. ...
    • SATA. 2 x SATA II (3.0 Gb/s)
    • Optical Drive. 16 x DVD-RW.
    • Networking. Realtek RTL8111E.

The problem is that i don't have a mouse or keyboard to connect to the media player pc so my guess is that i can't install it from there.

Edited 2 times, last by ToddeSwe: Merged a post created by ToddeSwe into this post. (November 29, 2020 at 1:52 PM).

• I would just use GParted Live on USB

install it at some usb thumb drive (at windows with "rufus") and boot from it, then it starts a linux with gparted already preinstalled and auto opening

then you can easily resize your partitions

random video explains it (btw the text at the boot process is basically pressing "next next next"

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I would just use GParted Live on USB

install it at some usb thumb drive (at windows with "rufus") and boot from it, then it starts a linux with gparted already preinstalled and auto opening

then you can easily resize your partitions

random video explains it (btw the text at the boot process is basically pressing "next next next"

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Which one is it that i should change and how much? :)

Edited once, last by ToddeSwe (November 29, 2020 at 5:59 PM).

• Yes, that's the right menu.

1) Switch from MiB to GiB (forth menu entry).

2) Set the the second entry number to 1 (GiB).

As it is now i can't change sda1 it's ghosted. So my thought was if i shrink the sda2 a bit first? ...

There's no option for GB just MB and cylinder.