No audio on RPi4 after restore from RPi3 backup (and volume indicator stuck)

• I restored a Libreelec made backup on RPi3 to the new RPi4.

(both running same, current Libreelec)

Backup/Restore worked perfectly.

I cannot get the audio over HDMI to work anymore. I suspect it died after the restore.

The odd symptom is:

While the Kodi is quiet, adjusting volume animates the volume indicator.

While playing a video, (so sound is heard) adjusting volume shows no change on the indicator.

Maybe a RPi3 related setting/file were restored ?

How should I troubleshoort?

• I did select analog(that works) , rebooted, (heard analog audio) had four choices; analog, analog+HDMI, HDMI, and BT. - chose HDMI, and it still does not work, nor does analog+HDMI work for HDMI.

• Login by SSH and

cd /storage/.kodi/userdata

mv guisettings.xml guisettings.xml.backup

reboot

Restore your settings file if HDMI audio doesn't work.

Thank you.

It did not fix the problem.

Also, two interesting thing I've noticed:

1: Even the projector can't make sound.

2: the HDMI->SPDIF extractor does not even lit it's LED

both very simple ways to conform that there is no audio on HDMI.

• nope, it did not help.

My next test will be to flash a fresh Libreelec to another SD, and ultimately RaspBerry Pi distro - if none of them work, then it is some bizzare hardware failure (This RPi4 it is less than a week old, so it might be...)

• I have not found any monitor, audio receiver, or distro that works in terms of HDMI sound.

This is onlly normal HD 1080, I bet 2.1 is backward compatible with 2.0 anyway - the projector can handle 3D - so I doubt there is any unusual datarate when having stereo over HDMI (I usually use 5.1, but tried to get stereo working once I realized that nothing worked..)

The standard Raspberry Pi distro/(desktop) is not making any sound on HDMI either.

I mailed the reseller: raspberrypi.dk

Will let you know how it goes..