FTP server - What does LibreElec use and where is the settings?

• Hi,

Sorry if this is covered in the wiki somewhere, I've been searching and came up blank.

On my previous OSMC install, I configured the FTP server so I could make it secure and chroot the user to only be able to access the media files. I need to do this as I will be opening it to external access and need it to be as relatively safe as possible.

For the life of me, I cannot find any information on what SFTP server LiberElec uses. Can someone link me to the wiki with information on it if it exists.

Thanks for any help!

• It's pretty simple: LibreELEC has no (S)FTP server onboard.

OSMC is more a full OS, while LibreELEC is a 'just enough' solution for Kodi.

The only file server in LibrELEC is Samba.

For external (backdoor) access you can use SSH, and also set up your own keys.

• Oh, I guess I'm getting confused somewhere. How am I able to connect and browse and edit the file system with FTP software?

Is it possible to install proftpd on Libreelec instead? I already have a config file for it, so might be the easiest option.

EDIT: OK, so I'm so used to doing everything over the command line, I never thought to actually try and just use Kodi. Kodi has an option to install and configure ProFtpd from the UI. So I set this up and all is fine :)

Thanks for your help.

Edited once, last by AssMan (October 4, 2020 at 6:10 PM).

• For the life of me, I cannot find any information on what SFTP server LiberElec uses. Can someone link me to the wiki with information on it if it exists.

You are confusing FTP, FTP-over-SSL and SFTP.

SFTP is SSH subsystem. SSH servers support SFTP unless it is turned off. LibreElec does not have SFTP turned off. SFTP is not chrooted unless it is provided by dedicated server that supports only SFTP features and does not have SSH shell service active on same port.

Since you know proftpd, check their site. They got document there talking about mod_sftp and other related things.