Raspberry Pi 4B and Wifi Setup

• My apologies in advance, but I can't seem to get much, if anything, to work. It plays videos off of a USB attached drive, but nothing else works, no matter how much time I spend on it or what I try.

Clearly there's a learning curve with any new system, but most of the documentation I've found online are video recipes that always show things "just working."

That almost never happens for me, so what I'm looking for is some kind of guide on how to figure out what's wrong so I can make things "just work" for me, too. On a normal Linux system, there's ton's of tools, logs, configuration files that can be tweaked, etc.

It took me less than 10 minutes to get wifi working on the exact same hardware with a raspbian chip installed. I had access, however to multiple tools and sources of information in Raspbian to get it working, so that's not particularly difficult nor impressive.

Switch back to the LE/Kodi chip, reboot and . . . nothing. I do what the videos tell me, and it simply does not work, there's no indication of why it didn't work, no tools to poke or prod at the system to check at what level or in what sub-system things are going astray, just . . . nothing.

Heck, even the videos I can find online are all over the place. I'm guessing that the videos on the same subject that contain different recipes are for different release/versions/platforms, but I'm not even sure about that.

So, the question is: what's the LibreELEC + Kodi way of diagnosing why the GUI doesn't do the right thing: in other words, how to figure out why none of the recipes work on my box?

Let's start with something as basic as running :

iwlist wlan0 scan

which, yeah, lists the networks that the box can receive, but more to the point, if it returns anything this tells you that your hardware is enabled, working, that you have enough kernel and networking support, correctly configured, to know that what ever the problem is, it isn't in those layers and sub-systems. I mean, right now, I don't even know if, when running LE/Kodi, the wireless chip might be turned off or something similar.

So, with LE/Kodi, what's the "expected" way to divide and conquer a problem so I can focus in on where things are misconfigured/missing/broken? Is there a way to switch to a text screen, start a command line, install some tools and run them, or scan the kernel or daemon logs, etc?

I may even be asking the wrong question entirely. It may be that the philosophy of this project is "it works, or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, that's just the breaks." Some "appliance" computing projects are like that: you don't fix it, it "just works", or it "just doesn't."

• Did you enter a country at the Wireless Regulatory Domain setting in the Network settings of the LibreELEC Settings Add-on?