LibreELEC with 4.19 kernel possible?

• Rockchip released an updated 4.19 kernel here

GitHub - rockchip-linux/kernel at develop-4.19

Perhaps users still building LE with the 4.4 kernel can get it booting?

Because this kernel is also used for Android-Q things like HDR, 4K, 10-bit color, H265, VP9 might work out of the box just like in the 4.4 kernel.

There is also a commit for HDMI Bitstream audio, perhaps it can help to get HD audio passthrough working?

drm: bridge/dw-hdmi: add support for hdmi bitstream audio · rockchip-linux/kernel@924f480 · GitHub

Another benefit of the 4.19 kernel is PS4 bluetooth controllers working now.

It might still take a long time until all features work in mainline so this might be a stopover for some developers and work better than the 4.4 kernel for now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the mainline kernel, user jernejsk made a patch based on the Raspberry Pi 4 HBR audio passthrough to get it working on Allwinner devices.

Allwinner: WIP audio passthrough · jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv@87cbddb · GitHub

Because Rockchip and Allwinner devices use the same HDMI hardware, someone might get it working on Rockchip devices too or can work with him to test it on Rockchip devices?

• It might still take a long time until all features work in mainline so this might be a stopover for some developers and work better than the 4.4 kernel for now?

I am hoping to reach a new base state for mainline in a week or two, rkvdec high 10/422 h264, vp9 and initial hevc is more or less working (mainly tested on rk3399, probably needs some tuning on rk3328 and rk3288), will post a h264 high-10/422 v3 series on mailing list later this weekend.

There has also been some progress on HDMI side to be able to support proper 10-bit output, color space conversion needs more work before I start posting hdmi patches on mailing list and generate patches for use in LE-master.

Commits · Kwiboo/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub have the latest diff I am testing, this branch should see some updates this weekend and next week, currently missing some bits for 10-bit framebuffers, hevc, hantro interlace due to testing h264 uapi changes.

Regarding PT audio, the Allwinner patches should probably work on RK mainline, I have not tested yet as I want to finalize v4l2 and 10-bit hdmi work before jumping on audio.