LibreELEC & Mame

• Hi,

Is there a guide for installing this on LibreElec? I have search a few different things and tired a few, but I can't seem to find one that works.

A step by step guide for a fresh install of 9.2.x LebreElec would be soooo handy :)

Update:

I have manged to install to install Mame 2010 (it seems to be a background install, as there is no gui interface element i can see?), I can browse to the file that is a game rom using the file explore, if I long press on that I get a context menu with play (if i just press it, it open the zip file for browsing!), when I pick play it opens a dialog to pick a emulator and an I pick mame 2010 in that list and it works.

Nothing appears in the main Games menu from the from home menu. Just the option to add a plugin or remove this menu.

I think I am missing the element to display the available roms, as games, in the from end gui somewhere. And have the system "know" that zip need played with the mame-2010 plugin.

Advise?

Edited once, last by lintopwan (July 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM).

• You need to add this to advanced settings.xml for mame zip to open

To have a UI for roms you need some kind of addon like Advanced Emulator Launcher.

• I thought the Advanced Emulator Launcher plugin was for where you have an "external" mame installed, not the ones that are build into the LibreElec core games repo? The AEL needs configured and told where the mane binary is and so on. I dont think there is onr on the standard libreelec mame install, just a build in .so

If that is the way to do it, is there a guide for libreelec? as I dont think it's as simple as normal.

• Hi,

I'm also fighting and trying to understand how to get MAME up & running in LibreELEC.

After tried the complex ways (Advanced Mame Launcher),and so on, I'm trying the first "Hello, world!" test

1) Installed the Arcade (MAME 2003) add-on from the add-ons menu

It install a shared library game.libretro.mame2003.so in /storage/.kodi/addons/game.libretro.mame2003

No mame executable (or I'm not able to find it)

2) In main menu, Games, I select "Add games", and add the folder where I have copied the roms (in my case /storage/games/mame/roms)

3) In same menu (main/Games) I pick the recently added folder, and pick a zip file.

ERROR: But instead of opening in MAME; it simply open the zip file to show me the inner content (the bin files)

Of course, if I try to open a bin file, it fails because try to open with other emulator (no mame)

I imagine it a silly misconfiguration, but I'm not able to find any place to say "the zip files are open with MAME"

• See #2 how to open MAME...otherwise another good option is use GameStarter Repo and install retroarch and play your roms from there..

• Hi,

I got this far too. You are almost there!! :)

Instead of just clicking the zip file (which opens it to explore it) long press to get the context menu. from there you will get a Play option, when you pick that is should give you a choice of emulators you installed. from there you can pick Mame2003/2010/2015, or what you installed.

This works for me. But you need to make sure the Rom is right for the version of mame.

I have not found a good way to have you just click and game and have it run with the correct emulator though??

My probs from here and getting the game controller to work. It only seems to work with the joysticks on controllers if you use 2015 mame, which less games work with :(

Mame 2010 vs 2015 Plugin - Joystick Issues

Hope that helps.

• Hi there, reviving this one to see where anyone's got to.

I'm trying out Matrix RC and trying to get AML working by compiling MAME for libreelec. Dont have the right switches as a guess. I've compiled but it wants sdl2 when i execute it.

error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0

Not sure if SDL2 can be installed on libreelec or if its possible to compile mame without this? (ill need to look into what is SDL2 too...)

So I'm now going through the links for setting up mame from here to see where it leads Advanced MAME Launcher - MAME frontend for Kodi

Thanks,

B.