Creating a backup of settings issue

• Apologies if this is is silly question...

Just done a clean install of LE7 on my RPi3 and spent what seems like the whole day setting everything back up as I want it so now I thought it would be a good idea to do my first ever backup.

I want to create the backup on my network storage, so I go to LibraELEC - System - Create System and Kodi Backup and point it at the folder on my NAS, hit ok and nothing happens? No error message, no confirmation message, just nothing? What am I doing wrong? The NAS is working as it should. I checked the backup folder locally on the Pi and nothing is in there neither. Any ideas?

• Didn't take one apologies.

I tried again last night and something happened this time out of the blue. It created the .tar file but saved it locally under /storage/backup although i'm 99.9% sure I was trying to save it to the NAS. Is it actually possible to save and restore to and from a network location just using the LibreELEC config menu? Or do I need an addon?

Edited once, last by nickrob84 (April 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM).

• The NAS folder is added via the LE file manager over my home network by the means of wifi. If I'm reading what you are saying right then the backup always must be a local physical source? In the opposite direction - can a restore be performed from a network location over wifi?

• Ok, so I think I have the understanding now that backups must be local, what about restoring though? Can that be done via the NAS or must be local also? Would be a great feature to add in my the way.

Because I build and maintain so many RPi's it is a critical feature for me.

Edited once, last by nickrob84 (May 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM).

• Ok, so I think I have the understanding now that backups must be local, what about restoring though? Can that be done via the NAS or must be local also? Would be a great feature to add in my the way.

Because I build and maintain so many RPi's it is a critical feature for me.

I might be wrong, but isn't libreelec installed to an sd card?

Why don't you just clone it to another sd card?

I use clonzilla to clone the usb drive on my NUC, so when I mess up, I just plug the other in.

• I would then need a card for each setup, would cost a fortune

I am curious without any local storage from where and how you run libreelec? From NAS? Is it possible to run multiple instances of same libreelec on different pi's?

Edited once, last by ace310 (May 1, 2016 at 11:29 PM).

• He didn't say he didn't have an SD card in each pi, he is saying he doesn't want to buy an extra SD card for each pi for the purposes of backup.

My bad. I read it wrong.

But well still you can create an image file for each sd card and save it at a common location, which I feel is much easier to restore if anything goes bad rather then using backup/restore addon.

Edited once, last by ace310 (May 2, 2016 at 4:10 AM).

• Yep that's completely correct. I've finally got my head around it now and have everything backed up. I'm assuming the answer to restoring over the network is a no as well then.

• Sounds to me like you used the kodi file manager to mount a network filesystem. This won't work. You need to ssh in and mount a network filesystem via command line, then you will be able to backup to this location.

Anyway to mount a smb share at boot time which will survive LibreElec updates?

I would also backup directly to my NAS.