Increased CPU Temps

• I know this has been mentioned a few times, but I have to say with my RPI3's which I upgraded to the latest 9.x.x streams, when playing 1080p and even sometimes 720p video streams, getting the little temperature alert icon flashing in the right of the screen......

CPU got upto 80c last night while trying to render a video.

Never had the issue when on the 8 stream..... Any tips of getting around this? on the RPI3's and also the RPI4 (4gb) which I am about to upgrade too?

or will I now have to start looking for heat syncs, and airflow for the RPI's now too? I'd prefer not to if I can help it :)

• Official Post

Sure, the RPI3 can get warm & hot. So does the RPi4. If you have your Raspberry Pi in a closed case, the heat cannot escape, and will built up.

Heat syncs alone won't do IMO. Either get a case with a small fan with a decent air flow (=bigger holes), or choose a full aluminum case such as the Flirc Kodi case with full heat dispersion.

• yeah just googled it and it does look very shmick..... I am just running as Kodi FE's to the TV's in the house, so its not doing a high workload :)

But I might look into grabbing a couple of these cases to help

Cheers

• RPi3 cannot hardware decode HEVC so if you've got a lot of content ripped in that format it's being software decoded and the CPU will get hot. It's fine to run hot (it will clock down and self-manage) but a case with better thermal behaviour does help.