Bluetooth does not find a device ASRock J5005 - Intel Wireless AC 3165

• Hi All,

Please apologise another noob question!!

I have another BT problem with my new board. Installed the intel M.2 Wireless AC 3165 Combo today but it detects no devices.

The card is recognised by the system -> http://ix.io/2iXU

Bluetooth is enabled in the settings and the service seems to run:

Is there any other service I have to start in addition?

Thanks !

p.s. sorry - here ist the log file: hastebin

dmesg | paste:

http://ix.io/2j7E

• Hi,

I could get LE to find bluetooth devices via ssh by using bluetoothctl.

So the card is indeed working.

Within kodi there are no devices showing up in settings-> Bluetooth and I can not do proper pairing.

Do I have to add something special to the autostart.sh? :/

Thanks

• No, the BT section in LE should simply see the BT devices in the area.

I have the same J5005, and was planning to add wifi to it.

But I was more thinking about the AC7265 or higher.

What are you trying to connect to?

• Thank you for your continuous support, Klojum!

(I don't care the better Wi-Fi as I am wired anyway, therefore I went with the 3165 which was a little less expensive.

Also there was a comment from 5schatten here on the forum, that the 3165 should be supported natively.)

I want to connect two 8bitdo gamepads.

The gamepad appears in the GUI when I trigger the pairing via SSH. The actual pairing however does not work.

After rebooting, the GUI shows a message like no Bluetooth devices found, please trigger pairing. Without certain SSH action no device is found. The old board as well as the RPis showed the BT devices without further SSH action.

I will add a screenshot later.

...I am not at home anymore and didn't have much time to play around this morning.

• I can't see anything wrong. The Intel driver is loaded, firmware loads, there are other signs that the card is up/running.

Thank you for checking, chewitt.

Although I had some success with the intel and all drivers were there, I couldn't get it to work properly. I have disassembled my NAS to get the Qualcomm card which I know that it works. Klojum I hope you have more luck with the more powerful card! I will keep you posted when I got it working properly

• I opened pandora's box by changing the intel with the qualcomm. After taking the M.2 of the NAS (...had to disassemble the whole sh** to get it), I couldn't shut down the NAS anymore. It came up straight after the shut-down due to the WOL bios setting. :@ taking out the card did lead to this strange behaviour. Anyway, both cards behave identical and I guess it relates to the 8bitdos. I will open a dedicated thread.

Thank you for your support

• Official Post

I hope you have more luck with the more powerful card! I will keep you posted when I got it working properly

We'll see in a week or two as I placed the order in the land of the big long wall.

I ordered a AC 9560 wifi kit which *should* work with the J5005, it being a CNVI card and all.
    The J5005 is to do Ubuntu 20.04 where Bluetooth would come in handy too, testing LibreELEC is optional.

• Hi Klojum sorry to bring this old thread up again. But I still struggle with Bluetooth in my machine and I was wondering if you have long-term experience with AC 9560 and if you tested the card with LibreELEC.

Meanwhile I bought another Bluetooth card (AX200) but it does not work very good either. The reason I wanted to pick this up again is, that I am currently testing LE10 with a RPi4. The Raspberry sits on top of my J5005 and finds many BT devices in seconds while the J5005 doesn't. I can pair e.g. my gamepads only via bluetoothctl.

So the card and bluetooth basically works but by far not as good as the with RPi. There might be something wrong with my board...?

Thanks

• Can you please share your dmesg from the J5005. There have been quite a large number of updates in the kernels with WiFi. But would like to see what versions of BT/WiFi you are running.

• So the card and bluetooth basically works but by far not as good as the with RPi. There might be something wrong with my board...?

I had thought about later in getting the AX201, but since I still have max wifi speeds upto 300Mbps (I still need to get a proper speedy access point), I got the AC9560 instead. Moreover, the Wifi 6 specs largely exceed the gigabit cable speeds in my LAN, which would make it a bit weird to get a Wifi 6 module. The AC9560 can already do that (hopefully) once my new router is there.

The AC9560 works as advertised as far as Bluetooth goes, and that was the main reason for me to get such a Wifi/BT module. Network is still done via cable, but wifi works too.

It's also possible that Gemini Lake is a bit allergic to AX200/1 cards. The Asrock forum mentions some of them.

• Thank you for your feedback. Glad that it is working for you.

My intention is only Bluetooth as well. For data I always use cables if possible 🥸

I was looking into the forum as well and found an ASrock officials recommendation to AX200 for J5005. So I was quite sure it will work this time.

...The BIOS does not give much room for tweaking either...

strange

• Looking at the logs, I can see that the AX200 looks ok. I’m using an AX201 on TGL, that needs the fw59 too. You are correct the AX200 is standalone, though the AX210 I purchased to test with does not work in my test systems. Locks them up. In my day job we have over 4000 AX200/AX201 windows devices that the 21.x driver is shocking and until 22.30/40 pretty poor. 22.20 was ok ish. I would like to see you running the LE10b2 code (kernel 5.10.30) which has had a number of little fixes both settings app / kernel ...

Regarding 5.1 kernel - 202085 – iwlwifi: 9560: ASSERT 2B80 unsure on the state of that kernel / this bug / that firmware.

We need to check the revision of the BT firmware in the firmware file ibt-20-1-3 - linux-firmware: Update firmware file for Intel Bluetooth AX200 · pop-os/linux-firmware@9e96e50 · GitHub

nuc11:/usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware/intel # ls -la ibt-20-1-3.*

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 9 Apr 17 00:13 ibt-20-1-3.ddc

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 773896 Apr 17 00:13 ibt-20-1-3.sfi

nuc11:/usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware/intel # md5sum ibt-20-1-3.*

ad54af0edef90047fd14d01517f3c8db ibt-20-1-3.ddc

3d65048d633b0960615976852355280e ibt-20-1-3.sfi

That being all the low level stuff. Within the LE10 settings app. What is Bluetooth doing/showing in terms of devices?