1080p video + Raspberry Pi 4b choppy video playback

• Setup:

Fresh install of LibreELEC 9.2.1 on Raspberry Pi 4b.

Video information:

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4

Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Duration : 1 h 53 min

Bit rate : 5 307 kb/s

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.107

Stream size : 4.20 GiB (93%)

Writing library : x264 core 155 r2901 7d0ff22

Default : Yes

Forced : No

Color range : Limited

Color primaries : BT.709

Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

My findings this far:
    I've tried the playback both from a USB drive and a local file copied to the OS memory card, both give equal results. I have the debug overlay on and the CPU usage is never above ~35% (my original thought was that maybe its overheating and throttling the CPU). While playing the video file the FPS counter varies a lot, the values are between 15 and 60.

I apologize if this is common knowledge on how to fix this, but I've tried to search for possible solutions and haven't found any and would appreciate any tips on what to try next :)

• I had this issue with Libreelec and a Pi4. Weirdly, it would only occur when running my pi4 through my AVAMP and wireless projector connection, and not if I directly connected the Pi4 to the projector's HDMI port. (I also had another maybe related HDMI issue, where the Pi4 would not select the right HDMI group when connected to the AVAMP vs directly to the projector)

In the end, I was unable to solve the issue. But FWIW it may be a Libreelec issue? I don't have the issue at all using Raspbian on the Pi4 with Kodi manually installed.

• I do not have choppy playback BUT with 1080p+h264 files i get like 1 second image errors (black screen and audio continues or weird flashing artifacts) like 2-3 times in a film/tv episode. This got worse with the newest update.

1080p+hevc does NOT have any of that problems for me. Maybe there is a specific problem now with h264/avc files?

Edit: Ok, i was wrong. Since this latest update this is true for every file.

Edited once, last by gierthi (April 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM).