Libreelec on Pi 4 Cooling Fan control

• Hi,

I have installed Libreelec 9.2.1 on Pi 4 with cooling fan that is connected to GPIO 4 (red) and 6 (black) directly without a transistor. I wanted to control this fan depending on the temperature of CPU. Found some information on internet, and based on these i programmed the Pi as the following:

Created a file fancontrol.py in /storage/.config/ with access 755.

It contains the following script

Then i made another file named fancontrol.sh in /storage/.config/ with access 755

Lastly i created an autostart.sh file in /storage/.config/ with

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    (
    /storage/.config/fancontrol.sh
    )&

I have reboot the pi, but the fan is not controlled, it is non stop works with cpu temperature 35.

What did i do wrong? How to make it work?

thank you

• You can't control the fan if you didn't add the transistor.

Pins 4/6 are +5V and GND so the fan will be constantly running as long as your RPi is powered up.

The python script you posted expects a transistor connected to GPIO 17.

BTW: a much simpler alternative to using a python script is to use the gpio-fan DT overlay. GPIO number and temperature can be passed in as parameters. eg

Code
    dtoverlay=gpio-fan,temp=40000

see also here linux/README at rpi-4.19.y · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub and here

linux/gpio-fan-overlay.dts at rpi-4.19.y · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

so long,

Hias

• Just add the dtoverlay line to config.txt Raspberry Pi Config.txt [LibreELEC.wiki] adjust the temp parameter as needed. If you use a different GPIO than the default 12 you also have to add gpiopin=GPIONUMBER

The second link (to the gpio-fan-overlay.dts file) shows how the transistor should be hooked up and also contains a link to the RPi forum with more details Overlay for GPIO connected fan - Raspberry Pi Forums

so long,

Hias

Sorry if I reply to an old thread. I just wanted to know: the solution you provided still needs a transistor to work?