Just a quick Pi4 60hz question...

• So out of the box, as I understand it on 9.2.0 on the Raspberry Pi 4.

30hz is enabled out of box so to speak.

Well, I've done the research and know how to enable 4k60. But my question is this, is it really required for video playback ?

I've read where on a normal desktop environment like with raspbian some have reported it helps with sluggishness or some such crap.

But enabling it for kodi using LE, is it really needed / required ?

To my understanding it makes the system run hotter. So basically, why do it regardless of what kind of cooling you use if any.

Ty.

• It depends on the content you wish to play back. If all your content is 4k@24hz,4k@24hz,4k@30hz or lower then you don't have any need to enable the higher refresh rate 4k modes. If you have content that you want to watch that is 4k50hz, or 4k60hz, then your best experience will be with the higher refresh rates enabled.

• Ok, but for shits n giggles, let me ask this.

Anything over the standardly enabled 30k. Obviously the higher it is above it, the "worse" it may be. So for the sake of this question. Let's bump it to max...

What kind of noticable differences are we talking if the Pi was trying to play 60 at 30 ?

Also, other than running warmer. I'm assuming 60 setting playing 30 is just fine as one might say ?

• The majority of 4K media is under 4K30 (the only 4K60 content I have is test media) and the Pi hardware performs better in terms of overall power use and thermal output (both of which impact stability) without 4K60 support enabled. LE defaults the GUI to 1080p and almost all 4K capable TVs will do a better job of upscaling the Kodi 1080p output to 4K than Kodi does upscaling 720p Estuary to 4K. RPi4 is a nice bump in performance over RPi3 but at the end of the day it's still a low-spec ARM board. Unless you really do need to run something at 4K60, it's best to leave the default config as-is.