hifiberry / module snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus broken in kernel 5.4.18

• Hi,

running on Raspi3, hifiberry can't be loaded in kernel 5.4.18, it fails with snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link HiFiBerry DAC+: -517

Full dmesg output see dmesg.txt.

It's not an hardware issue, hifiberry is fine when booting a different image/sd card (see hifiberry_ok.txt for log excerpts).

• ok, so I narrowed it down, last working kernel was 5.4.11:

• It's not against the rules to post it here, but personally I would call it a development discussion, which has an own sub-forum.

Nope. Copy&Paste from the forum descriptions:

Development > General help for development and building with LibreELEC

Bug Reports > If you found a bug and can provide a technical description of it, post a report here

I'm not searching for workarounds, I'm not developing or building LibreELEC, I report a bug.

And now lets please stop the meta-discussion and focus on topic

• Bug reports, especially with detailed info, are always welcome.

For issues in milhouse builds it's best to post in his threads on the kodi forum so everything's in one place.

The dmesg output helped me track down a bug lingering in the pcm512x driver for a long time, I've sent a fix upstream and it's already scheduled for inclusion in the next 5.6 kernel (and will then find it's way into earlier kernels)

ASoC: pcm512x: Fix unbalanced regulator enable call in probe error path - Patchwork

As posted in the milhouse thread I suspect the actual error is with the clock driver of the Hifiberry card (which Hifiberry folks need to look into, I don't have the hardware here to test myself) which then triggered the bug in the pcm512x driver.

so long,

Hias