Why could reading from nfs shares be excruciatingly slow?

• My plan was to centralize my media and remove the local HDD from my Raspberry Pi running LibreELEC. I got a Synology Diskstation 120 and setup UPnP/DLNA as well as nfs. Access works beautifully from a number of clients. LibreELEC is not one of them.

I mount the NFS share from within LibreELEC/Kodi. Scanning the media takes 12+ hours whereas before (from the local harddrive) it took maybe 20-30 minutes. My WiFi-connection is not that bad. But hey - you only can your library once.

But playback is even worse. I can only hear about 2-3 seconds at a time and then the music is interruptet for 2-3 seconds.

I read online that NFS does not work too well from within Kodi so I tried with a kernel mount which I put in /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Scanning is still slow but palyback is much better. But It still does get interrupted.

And LibreELEC can't seem to find the UPnP/DLNA server either.

I thought this would be straightforward. I have an ancient 7 inch android tablet that acts wonderfully as a renderer using the HiFi-Cast app. I can't see why Kodi shouldn't be u to this. If you think I am asking too much from this software, please let me know which other software (or all-in-one-minimal-OS-solution) would be more appropriate.

Could you help me troubleshoot this?

This is a Raspberry Pi 3B with the latest LibreELEC 9.2 and I am talking about regular-sized MP3-files. Not movies, not Flac - just mp3.

Edited once, last by Frank (January 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM).

• I read online that NFS does not work too well from within Kodi so I tried with a kernel mount which I put in /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Internal NFS works just fine in Kodi, NFS browsing can have its hiccups at the moment. But overall throughput is not an issue.

Wifi connections for any HTPC is not recommended IMO. The advertised wireless speeds are often not met due to circumstantial hurdles: multiple thick walls, electrical appliances that generate their own force fields, signals from adjacent houses. You name it. Wired connections are always preferred in my book.

• 1) Try adding your nfs share locally and not through Kodi. Look at Wiki for instructions.

2) Have you turned on UPnP in the LE options?

3) The internal wifi of the RPi is not the best in the world - especially if enclosed in a case or behind a TV. Get a good USB wifi adapter, with a large antenna

• setup nfs on synology nas

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 3) The internal wifi of the RPi is not the best in the world - especially if enclosed in a case or behind a TV. Get a good USB wifi adapter, with a large antenna

That's the one. I was wondering about this point because my slow devices perform flawlessly at around 30-40MBit/s - farther away from the router than the RPi (which displays 45-54MBit/s). So I found an old USB wifi adapter, added a USB extension cord to optimize the position and am now I am getting a stable 81MBit/s. The actual performance now appears to be close to that of a local drive.

Thanks a lot for your input!