Web browser on Kodi Libreelec

• Hi, I followed a tuto on youtube to install Chrome but I don't find the Add-on line in the list. Readding your posts, it seems that Chrome is nomore available on Libreelec/kodi. I'm not attached to chrome, I just need a web browser to find out repos or codes and other simple purposes. What can you tell me about this?

Thanks for your help. Regards.

• H!@ALL

first I want to say, that LibreELEC is running very nice and I love it.

Im searching for an Web-Browser for Kodi 18.5 (Linux Kernel 4.19.x), but i cant finde one.

I already installed all Repositorys, but no Chrome, Chromium, FireFox. The only Web-Browser that i found, is the Web Viewer, but this is useless.

If i connect to the Kodi-Box via Secure Shell (SSH), the command apt-get (Advanced Packaging Tool) douse not work, i get an ERROR:

I also found a Browser launcher, but there musst be a Browser installed to launch it.

Is the LibreELEC - RPi4.arm 9.2.0 a ArchLinux-ARM Operations System?

If the Kodi is running as GBM a Web-Browser can only be installed as a Add-On.

Kodi for GBM
    kodi-gbm may be a good choice for standalone operations since it runs Kodi directly on the GPU without the X11 layer. Setups like this will be unable to launch other graphical applications.

Is there a way to install a Web-Browser (preferred Chromium-Browser)?

Hardware

Board: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)

Case: Flirc, Kodi Edition

Memory: 16GB SD-Card, Class 10

Remote-Control: 2.4G Air Mouse

Operations System: LibreELEC - RPi4.arm 9.2.0

• If you want a browser you will need to run a desktop OS like Raspbian. There are no browser add-ons for RPi in LE. It's technically possible to hack something using docker, but then you're just running a full desktop OS like Ubuntu in a container in the background, and you have to stop/exit Kodi to switch to the browser and then exit and restart Kodi .. not the best experience. In the future there is maybe one built-in to Kodi, but not yet.

• Sorry for the ignorance, but why exactly can you not launch applications from within LE on arm based systems?

Is there no x11 in this JeOS or is something else missing?

How does Kodi/LE frontend launch?

• I installed chromium on various platforms and used the chrome launcher, you may need to hack the files as likely if linux you will be running chromium and the cmd line will change.

On the Raspberry Pi I have compiled Kodi 18.5 on arch linux installed chromium with the launcher and it works great.
    Problem is "vpdau-vc4" from memory isn't loaded so no "hardware acceleration" on the pi.

On Kodi 19 Alpha which has compile commands for GL or GLES ffmeg-mmal on the Pi seems to work great.
    As does the x11 compile but the python bit of addons seems to need more work as the chromium launcher doesn't seem to work.

I don't really find X11 bloated on a Pi4 and it works great on x86_64 if you make your own standalone service with a distro.
    Arch is so fast on an old 2nd gen I3 that you could make your own.
    Its just a shame the default build of Kodi misses some of the essential kodi system addons of libreelec such as bluetooth pairing and such like.
    But apart from that there is little difference.

So to cut a long story short Kodi19 is looking like it will support chromium and presuming LE will add it.
    But also Chromium Ozone has just reached beta which means you can have a Chromium-gbm so that Kodi18 could also have.

Stuck on that one as compling Kodi GBM/X11/Wayland is a doddle but struggling with Chromium ozone but will give it a try again.

I have been using Kodi/Chromium/Droidmote so that I can use a phone as a system keyboard/mouse to use for Chromium.
    It makes a perfect settop box device where its a media machine with occasional browser use and its so good like that.

I am thinking Chromium_Ozone_GBM could be now even though its only entered Beta but with x11 Kodi19 GL/GLES is available on http://X11.GBM/Wayland so maybe it wait till then.

Slightly bemused as Kodi19 is great and seems to run hardware accelerated and Arch RaspPi4 is kernel 4.19 and bemused as thought it would have to be 5.2/5.3 (somewhere when much of the MESA stuff went in)

• You sound a bit drunk when you make such statements. If you are here to troll on this forum, just know that your stay here will be a very short one.

I`m apologies for my english. I am from Ukraine. May I ask you? Is it possible create for OS Libreelec more security for web browsers in future? Because I am not have wish changed OS Libreelec to another OS Ubuntu or something else OS.

My hardware: RPI4(4Gb) + RPI TV(DVB-T2) HAT

• We know Kodi works in Rasbian, but it stutters, has screen tears, and artifacting even in 1080p. Forget 4k.

What you get with Kodi on Libreelec:

Better frame rate.

No dropped frames.

No artifacting.

No screen tears.

Libreelec was created for people who want an entertainment experience Rasbian can't provide.