Raspberry Pi Libreelec freezing in movie preview

• Hello,

I recently upgraded from a Raspberry Pi 2 to the new Pi 4 1gb to have a smoother Kodi experience. However, I experience lots of freezes and restarts whenever I move into my movie preview page.

I read lots of posts with similar problems and did the following:

I tried various PSUs including the original Pi4 PSU.

I changed the micro SD card.

I installed a fan to avoid overheating.

I updated Libreelec to 9.2

The Log shows that memory usage is always around 350mb (of 697mb). The CPU is maximum at 35%.

I noticed that the frame rate drops dramatically from time to time (it is fixed to 23.987fps but drops down to around 15fps).

Nevertheless, Libreelec is still crashing every time I open the movie preview.

The Movies are located on a NAS wired with ethernet.

All in all, my old Raspberry Pi 2 is way more responsive and faster. Also starting videos is faster.

I hope anyone of you has an idea of how to solve this problem!

Edited once, last by Exitras (December 9, 2019 at 5:00 PM).

• Update:

I installed Libreelec again and everything was super snappy and smooth. After I added the Movie library (with my Zyxel NAS using SMB, about 500 movies), the problems are back. So this is definitely related to the movie library.

I read that german letters such as ä, ö, ü can cause problems and I removed all of them in my movie names.

• Sorry to be a bit ignorant, but what exactly do you mean by your "movie preview page" ?

I run a Rpi4 for with a movie library without any hiccups.

Perhaps you can also provide Kodi's log file for some more insight?

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Hi Klojum,

many thanks for providing your help!

I mean with the "movie preview page" the section, where you can see covers of all your movies - movie overview.

I just figured out something super strange! After a lot of headache and research, I decided to put the micro sd card in my Raspberry Pi 4 (but with 4gb ram) and it works just perfectly. No freezes and reboots. Everything is all fine.

So the problem is solved for me. I will contact the supplier and ask for a replacement.

But I'm wondering whether this is a known problem...

• I mean with the "movie preview page" the section, where you can see covers of all your movies - movie overview.

Okay, so simply the movie listing page :)

I decided to put the micro sd card in my Raspberry Pi 4 (but with 4gb ram) and it works just perfectly.

You mean you also have a RPi4 with 1GB with LibreELEC, and that one has hiccups using that SDcard?

That is not supposed to happen.

• Okay, so simply the movie listing page :)

Hehe yes :)

You mean you also have a RPi4 with 1GB with LibreELEC, and that one has hiccups using that SDcard?

That is not supposed to happen.

Jup, my 1gb version is making many problems (even though I never reached the limit of 1gb). Luckily I have a 4gb version which I could use for testing. But I still wonder why this happens...

• I have the same issues.

I have upgraded from RPI B+ to RPI 4 1GB.

When using the same SD card with LE v9.2, browsing in movie wall works without problems, but when I try browsing on RPI 4, kodi freezes after a few lines. Sometimes it recovers, sometime not and I have to pull the plug.

It is a clean install every time with my advancedsettings/mediasources/passwords/source.xml copied and reboot. Also network connection delay is enabled and set to 60s.

System log

Crash log

P.S.

After reviewing it is indeed out of memory, at least it said so in crash log:

Code
    Jan 25 08:56:54 LibreELEC kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 356 (kodi.bin) score 242 or sacrifice child
  • I have the same problem with rpi4 1gb.

By the way I have 2gb model too and It's working without freeze or random reboots with the same (just replace from 1gb) sd card as 1gb.