No Sound using new Receiver with lntel NUC's wake from suspend

• My previous setup worked fine but with this new Yamaha Receiver there is no audio unless I reboot my old Intel NUC.

Intel NUC DC53427HYE (3rd gen i5)

Yamaha RX-V765 (old receiver)

Yamaha RX-A780 (new receiver)

Sony KDL-46XBR6 TV (2009 model)

LE 9.2.0

I use Wake from Suspend on my NUC because this model NUC doesn't support remote POWER ON. When waking from suspend, there is no audio and under Audio Settings I see this:

ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, HDMI #0

After a reboot of my NUC, I have sound again and see this:

ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, SNY Sony TV XV on HDMI #0

Any idea on what I can do to fix this problem ?

Problem Fixed ! See posts #28 to 35. (thanks to mglae)

Edited 4 times, last by blueribb (December 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM).

• Could you describe your HDMI cabling please?

If it's NUC -> receiver -> TV, then your new receiver might block (don't update) HDMI communication after suspend.

Yes, the cabling is as you show. My 2009 Yamaha Receiver did not have this problem. My brand new 2019 Yamaha Receiver (same basic specs) has this problem. It's definitely an HDMI issue but I'm clueless as to how to fix it. For the meantime, I will reboot my NUC every time I use it.

• Update: I connected my Intel NUC directly to my Sony TV (2009) using an HDMI cable. I then connected my Sony TV's Digital Audio output to my Yamaha Receiver. This fixed the HDMI handshake problem BUT I cannot leave it this way because of two new problems. First, the video is over-saturated with both contrast and color. And secondly (most important), my Sony TV does NOT pass HD Audio of any type. I guess the TV is just too darn old to handle HD Audio.

I really don't want to buy a new Intel NUC and TV at this time. I'm going to call Yamaha Tech Support to see if they have a fix. Rebooting the NUC every time I want to use it is frustrating and a little time consuming.

• My new Yamaha Receiver allows you to switch between HDMI 1.4 and 2.2 for each HDMI input. I crossed my fingers and selected 1.4 for the NUC and the problem still exists. Oh well. I'm in a phone queue waiting for a return call from Yamaha Tech Assistance.

• Have you already tried a Custom EDID?

Actually, I just finished my phone call with Yamaha Tech Support and the guy was very knowledgeable. He said it does sound like an EDID issue. I don't know anything at all about EDID, so any help would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I am going to try a new HDMI cable, another HDMI input and then as Da Flex suggested - an HDMI Audio Splitter. I'll click the link supplied for Custom EDID above.

• It's been a while since I SSH'd into Kodi. I enabled SSH in Libreelec and launched FileZilla. I input the host, username and password and it's connected. Now what ? Where do I type the commands ?

• I used PuTTY and ran the command getedid create. It rebooted my NUC in 15 seconds but unfortunately it did not solve the no audio problem. I followed the directions to the T.

I am trying new hdmi cables, inputs and the hdmi audio splitter later today.

Thanks

• I struck out today. I tried a new cable, different hdmi input, an hdmi audio splitter and a custom EDID. None fixed my problem. Now I'm wondering if I should return the new Yamaha Receiver for another brand.

• Update: I found a work-around tonight. If I start my system in TV mode (Verizon Cable Box) and then switch to Kodi which wakes my Intel NUC from suspend, the sound works every time. I'm guessing the TV mode completes the hdmi handshake and EDID, which the new receiver remembers until it's shut off. I can switch between Verizon TV & my NUC and the sound remains, even though the NUC goes into SUSPEND when the TV mode is on.

My guess is that the NUC's hdmi handshake / EDID signal or whatever is much stronger during POWER ON, than it is resuming from SUSPEND and that the new Yamaha Receiver is more sensitive to this. Maybe if I had chosen another brand of receiver, like Denon, I might not have this problem at all.

• Using the HDMI splitter might be easier, but that's your choice. In the digital world there should be no weak and strong signal, so I guess it's a timing issue. I wish we had a tool to explicitly send HDMI commands from LE. Then you could send a wake-up-from-suspend signal, and see what happens.