Advanced settings help

• So, I have figured out how to use the sources.xml file to add media sources to Kodi.

I would like, however, to find a way to set the content of the sources added without manually making the change through the GUI.

I have several LibreELEC boxes and am trying to simplify some setup/future changes. :)

Current setup is as follows:

Media files are shared via NFS from a server

MariaDB server located on a central server (for shared library database)

LibreELEC boxes connected to TV's

Using advancedsettings.xml, each box uses file substitution to load the sources.xml and mediasources.xml. (Currently working, but can change)

Thanks in advance,

FJ

• I would like, however, to find a way to set the content of the sources added without manually making the change through the GUI.

Unfortunately, Kodi does not support magic wands.

And usually adding/changing sources is a one-time-thing only.

So how often are you planning to make source changes?

When creating a new Kodi client, simply copy the relevant files from the Kodi source machine to the new client, either via USB or a network connection.

Should your Kodi device work okay via path substitution, then a simple reboot should be enough to pick up changes in the source.xml file.

Kodi cannot update the sources.xml internally once it has booted/started.

• I am in the process of migrating and sorting my media library.

As such, I have been making somewhat frequent source changes, but once I have finished, I may not be changing sources often. :)

Yes, I have found that a reboot is needed to refresh the changes made to most of the xml files.

This is fine and I have no problems there.

To make sure we are talking about the same setting.

I am referring to the "This directory contains" setting when you edit a source inside the GUI.

As I have opened every file I can find (at least in the userdata directory), this must be stored inside the shared library database?

I am going to set a second LibreELEC box to use the shared library database and see if this setting migrates over.

• So, after setting up a second LibreELEC box with the same OS version and access to the MariaDB shared library database, I have found a few interesting things.

1. The shared library appears to have the watch status/progress as well as the plot info and other minor media info.

2. The "This directory contains" setting does not propagate to the second LibreELEC box.

I did dig through the MariaDB database "MyVideos116" and found in the "path" table there is fields labeled "strContent" and "strScraper".

These fields contain the content type I set on the first LibreELEC box and the scraper I set to collect/set media data.

I am confused as to why this data/setting are in the shared library, but do not propagate to other LibreELEC boxes.

Should I only have one box with the "This directory contains" set?

Thanks in advance for help understanding this confusion.

• The solution I found was this:

Install the same scraper on all boxes you want the "This directory contains" setting to propagate to.

Otherwise you only get plot and other text based media info.

• Try replace your MariaDB with EmbyMedia

Emby - The open media solution

My server does not really have the hardware to handle de/re-encoding my media. (Least I don't think it does)

(Intel Atom N550 with 2GB ram currently running Debian 9 serving MariaDB and NFS)

Besides, I don't really need the extra features that Emby provides.

If I could find something like Emby that did just media management and LibreELEC/Kodi could tie into it, I would likely jump on it.

• if your clients can handle all the media thrown at which I believe LE codec can handle then it will put less stress on the server. Emby media can handle all the metadata better than Kodi. The scrapping is done automatically, the team are very supportive I will recommend it over plex which is an alternative to managing media server just my personal presence not condemning plex (of which I have a life time subscription) good luck