*** Error in check-update

• My droidbox t8-mini found a .tar file in the .update folder (I did not put it there, don't know if it was an auto-update or not) and began applying the update. It encountered an error and threw this error message:

*** Error in check-update: mount_common: could not mount /storage/.update/system ***

Now I cannot get past that update and error. How can I access the update folder to clear the offending tar file so I can reboot to LE and Kodi? I would hate to lose all my settings and add-ons by reinstalling a fresh LE/Kodi before being able to back up my settings and addons.

Do you know how to get past this error when I cannot boot into LE to start SFTP?

Thanks for any help you can give

ezriderz?(

• Hi Adrian,

I did the factory reset from the recovery menu, then once kodi was running, I used Filezilla (any sftp client should work) to get into my .storage/.update folder. There I found the offending .tar file and renamed the .tar extension to .xxx so it would not be picked up as an update. Then I went into the LibreElec configuration app (program add-ons) and disabled auto update.

vpeter provided a command that will remove that update tar file from the .update folder which is about the equivalent of renaming it as I did. Except I can still rename the tar if I ever want it again.

I still don't know how that offending update got into my .update folder and what it is supposed to contain. It has "t8mini" and the number 9.0.1 in the title so it probably originated from Droix, but they have disclaimed any knowledge of it. Don't know what the 9.0.1 indicates, either. But it certainly seems to have a bug in the install script.

I hope this helps.

Ezriderz

Edited 2 times, last by Ezriderz (September 11, 2019 at 6:35 PM).

• I still don't know how that offending update got into my .update folder and what it is supposed to contain. It has "t8mini" and the number 9.0.1 in the title so it probably originated from Droix, but they have disclaimed any knowledge of it. Don't know what the 9.0.1 indicates, either. But it certainly seems to have a bug in the install script.

It certainly didn't come from LibreELEC!

Without knowing how this 9.0.1 Droix image has been built it's difficult to say what the issue is. My guess would be that whoever built it may have switched to using zstd compression for squashfs - the problem being that zstd decompression isn't supported by pre-LibreELEC 9 kernels meaning a build such as 8.2.5 (or earlier) will not be able to mount the new SYSTEM image.

zstd is supported by all LibreELEC 9 kernels, and (official) LibreELEC 10 releases will be using zstd squashfs.

• Just noticed you posted a crashlog - you appear to be running an official x86_64 Generic LibreELEC 9.0.2 build so that should rule out zstd as being the cause of the error, but why you were trying to install a "9.0.1 build" that included "t8mini" in the filename baffles me. I would suggest asking on the Droidbox Forums: t8-mini.78

Edit; WTF, the crashlog was from someone else's thread and I thought it was yours. Sorry!