Update to LibreELEC no HMDI out any more.

• Hello
    I just updated my NUC D34010WYK from OE via "manual update" to LE. Everything is working very well except at boot.
    The NUC is connected by a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter to my Toshiba TV. I'm controlling everything by a Logitech Harmony Touch. If I switch on the NUC and the TV, the NUC starts up and the TV as well. Since the update, I can't see the BIOS splash screen / BIOS posts or either the Kodi Screen. If I reboot the NUC by pressing the power button (the TV is still on), it shows instantly the BIOS boot screen and everything is working well.
    It looks like that the NUC not regognize the HDMI screen at the first boot, because the TV is not ready yet. If the TV is already running for a while, theres no problem to start up the HTPC. The starnge thing is, it happend only since the update. On OE, it was no problem. Anybody an idea?

Bios WYLPT10H.86A.0042
    LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2

mrremo

Edited once, last by mrremo (October 19, 2016 at 6:56 AM).

• That´s not a real problem. If it works before with OpenELEC it was kind of luck. Probably the boot process is a bit different now with LibreELEC, which might cause, that the HDMI handshake is done earlier with LibreELEC and the TV doesn´t provide the EDIDs yet. Therefore the NUC doesn´t get the EDID informations and you will get no screen.

To avoid that, you either have to turn on the TV before or dump the EDID like explained in this OpenELEC wiki:

Configuring a Custom xorg.conf - OpenELEC

Take a look at "Custom EDID" at the link above. After doing this you don´t have to wait anymore until your TV is up.

• That´s not a real problem. If it works before with OpenELEC it was kind of luck. Probably the boot process is a bit different now with LibreELEC, which might cause, that the HDMI handshake is done earlier with LibreELEC and the TV doesn´t provide the EDIDs yet. Therefore the NUC doesn´t get the EDID informations and you will get no screen.

To avoid that, you either have to turn on the TV before or dump the EDID like explained in this OpenELEC wiki:

Configuring a Custom xorg.conf - OpenELEC

Take a look at "Custom EDID" at the link above. After doing this you don´t have to wait anymore until your TV is up.

Thanks DaVu for the very fast and good explained answer. I will test it this evening and give a feedback!

• So, finally I tried to create a Custom EDID. Unfortunately it ins't working. I removed all created files und tried a second time. Still no luck. The only difference to the HowTo which DaVu has posed is, that I have /flash/syslinux.cfg and not /flash/extlinux.conf as in the description. So I edit the APPEND line in this file.

As a second step created a xorg.conf file which is saved in configfiles folder. The xorg.conf files looks like:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "intel"
    VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin"
    Option "UseEDID" "true"
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
    EndSection

Any other idea? Can I check somehow the used EDID when the NUC is up an running with no output? I would like to confirm that the custom EDID is loaded.

• Thanks for the explanation.
    This is a pretty cool way to provide logs.

Log conditions:

-Custom EDID created
    -NO custom xorg.conf (I removed that file again)
    -NUC is booting but TV is not yet ready

Here is the Link to the debug logs.

• Where did you place the edid.cpio file in the end?

If I see the xorg.conf you created it seems to be in /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin which is wrong as it needs to be in /flash in the end. See:

Remount the boot filesystem as RW, and move the cpio archive into place
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    mv ../edid.cpio /flash/

You have to follow ALL the steps inside this how-to

And IIRC there is no xorg.conf needed.

• I followed all the step. The edid.cpio file is saved in /flash.

LibreELEC:/flash # ls -la
    total 210668
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 16384 Jan 1 1970 .
    drwxrwxr-x 15 root root 228 Jun 25 07:28 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 14 2015 EFI
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10711968 Jun 25 06:33 KERNEL
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 204787712 Jun 25 07:33 SYSTEM
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1000 Oct 19 19:48 edid.cpio
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 122308 Oct 14 2015 ldlinux.c32
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 69632 Oct 14 2015 ldlinux.sys
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 178 Oct 19 19:59 syslinux.cfg

Yes, I think there is no xorg.conf needed. I just tried this as a other possible solution.
    Did you found something in the log?

• Code
    Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
      Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
      Option      "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin"
      Option      "UseEDID" "true"
      Option      "IgnoreEDID" "false"

^^ those are all nVidia-specific instructions, xorg.conf files are nowhere near as standardised as you're assuming.