RPi4 GPIO using in LibreELEC

• I've been installed a power button and a status LED on my RPi3B+. This works for RPi4B, too. After SSH login, you can use the nano editor to create or edit all necessary files.

Power Button Hardware Part

Use GPIO03 (Pin #05) and the opposite Ground (Pin #06) to connect a push button for power on / off.

Power Button Scripting Part

Add dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown to config.txt.

Switching off will let the shutdown menu appear.

To shutdown instantly instead, create this /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml:

Code
    <keymap>
        <global>
            <keyboard>
                <power>shutdown</power>
            </keyboard>
        </global>
    </keymap>

Status LED Hardware Part

Use GPIO13 (Pin #33) and the opposite Ground (Pin #34) to connect an LED. Also use a resistor with 330 Ohms or more.

Status LED Add-On Part

Install the Raspberry Pi Tools add-on to use the GPIO programming library in Python.

Status LED Scripting Part

The status LED will be triggered from autostart.sh, which calls the Python script status_led.py . It will switch off automatically at shutdown, no script action required for this part.

Create this /storage/.config/autostart.sh :

Bash
    #!/bin/sh

(
        python /storage/scripts/status_led.py
    ) &

Create this /storage/scripts/status_led.py :

Reboot.

• Thank you for this procedure. I did all from the list, use the same GPIO pin and it´s working. Thank you for your help :thumbup:

More informations about this project:

Raspberry Pi4 case with LED power button by Foxbiker - Thingiverse

How it´s work:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Foxbiker: Aditional informations (August 17, 2019 at 6:16 PM).

• Da Flex

Thank you for linking your work on the other post.

1. Can I add "dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown" in config.txt from SD card while it's plugged to desktop using Notepad++

2. The pin 33 and pin 34 will work for ON/OFF plus led status?

3. For the executed command (chmod +x ), is there a way without the need command from terminal? Like, right click the file (.py & .sh) and change something in Properties?

is "/storage" mean there's a folder inside SD card name "/storage"?

Edited once, last by cat2115 (January 15, 2020 at 6:19 PM).

• 1. Can I add "dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown" in config.txt from SD card while it's plugged to desktop using Notepad++

Yes.

2. The pin 33 and pin 34 will work for ON/OFF plus led status?

No, that's just for the LED. Use pin 5 and 6 for the power button. If you only want the power button, then you can ignore the LED part.

3. For the executed command (chmod +x ), is there a way without the need command from terminal? Like, right click the file (.py & .sh) and change something in Properties?

On a Linux PC (maybe OSX, too), making files executable by right-click-option should work fine. You maybe need root status to do this. I'm not 100% sure whether chmod +x is necessary, so you can try it without this step first.

is "/storage" mean there's a folder inside SD card name "/storage"?

When you plug the microSD card into your desktop PC, then the /storage folder will be represented by the STORAGE partition.

• Hello friends ! for two days i am trying to put the power button on my rpi 4b + libreelec 9.02 following this tutorial but it is not working! I need help, I did everything as described so I could not put the files as executable because the command described generates an error !! what do I need to do? when I press the push button nothing happens!

Foxbiker and Da Flex

Edited once, last by Allissonhsp (April 10, 2020 at 2:02 PM).

• Hello friends ! for two days i am trying to put the power button on my rpi 4b + libreelec 9.02 following this tutorial but it is not working! I need help, I did everything as described so I could not put the files as executable because the command described generates an error !! what do I need to do? when I press the push button nothing happens!

Foxbiker and Da Flex

Please show the command you try and the error message you get.

• Da Flex I found the power button problem! first I had to update the boot firmware, then it started working to restart, looking in the forum I found the error in the instruction dtoverlay = gpio-shutdown is wrong, it should be written: dtoverlay gpio-shutdown so it worked! now the led script is not working! I don't know why he doesn't perform!

• Da Flex Before updating the firmware, the command for wakeup did not work, but after I updated the bootloader, I turned the LE off and when I used the power button it turned on, but it didn't! after I changed the command “dtoverlay” as described above he started to turn LE off by the power button! but now the led script is not working! I would like help! do you have a log where you can see if the script is being executed by autostart.sh?

• I updated the boot firmware and not the LE!

That's what I mean, too. LE updates include boot firmware updates, whenever necessary.

You can verify script execution by creating a file. Do an internet research to learn how to do so.

I can only continue to help you, if you answer my questions. Investing energy to get the latest boot firmware, but ignoring LE updates is a mismatch to me. LE updates are more important to get stability and best performance.

If you did a typo like at chmod +x, you should inform us about it's correction. Other users will benefit while reading the thread.

• Mario77 No, the dtoverlay implementation only does the shutdown, no reset by long-press. I did a test to be sure.

Here is the original implementation that I used before dtoverlay. You can implement reset by long-press easily from there:

• Da Flex

Thanks for your reply..

That's a shame.

So if I understand correctly..

connections are gpio 3 and ground for switch and gpio 13 and ground for led..no transistors involved to run led?Perhaps it might need a resistance?Is there enough power in gpio 13 to run LED?