Low volume on fresh install on NUC 2820

• I wanted to try LE so I installed it on a NUC 2820 using Generic.x86_64-9.1.002.img via a USB drive. I have the NUC connected to a Marantz AVR via HDMI and that is connected to the TV.

What I noticed is that the audio was very low compared to other devices I have connected to the AVR. As you might imagine, this is pretty annoying to have to reduce the volume before I switch to watching the Cable or Netflix (on Fire TV) and to have to increase the volume to watch something on LE.

I might have used the volume amplification and made that the default for all media but unfortunately, I have a shared database for other Kodi installation across the house. Increasing the volume that way would make every other setup loud and their usage annoying.

I checked alsamixer which shows everything at 100% but changing things there has no effect on the level of volume; reducing it all the way down doesn't decrease the audio output a bit. So alsamixer might not be the right place to make any changes.

I have audio passthrough enabled with 7.1 "best match" configuration; I had "optimized" earlier and it was the same. To get any sound coming out of LE, I had to choose ALSA PCH MJI Maratnz; ALSA PCH default didn't produce any sound.

Kodi's own volume is at its max. I can't think of anything to increase the audio levels on my LE; can you?

Thanks

• Some brainstorming:
    - change the wiring to NUC -> TV -> AVR

- select "HDMI" as audio output device on LE

- only use 2.0 channels on LE (this LE option is a bit misleading)

Maybe one of those works. Try combinations, too.

• Thanks Da Flex for the proposals.

• Changing the wiring would force me to use ARC which confuses the AVR; it occasionally gets into a loop.
    • HDMI is not even an options on my LE. I have 3 ALSA HDA entrys (Default, Intel PCH ALC283, and Intel PCH MJI) + PULSE Blootooth
      Out of those, the only one that produces any sound is the Intel PCH MJI one.
    • Setting to 2.0 didn't help.

Is there any way to do this at the driver level? advancedsettings perhaps? Alsa?

Thanks

• Official Post

Thanks for the test.

• HDMI is not even an options on my LE. I have 3 ALSA HDA entrys (Default, Intel PCH ALC283, and Intel PCH MJI) + PULSE Blootooth
      Out of those, the only one that produces any sound is the Intel PCH MJI one.

Wow, that's weird! It could be the reason for low volume.

Can an Intel NUC user please verify that HDMI is a default output option at the audio settings? I always have this option on my RPi.

My first guess is that you should check the HDMI cables. Use "HDMI High Speed" cables to be sure.

Sometimes the cable contacts (internal soldering) go bad after some years. I already had this issue, and had to replace one.

• Sadly, blacklisting snd_soc_skl.ko didn't help, nor did analog volume setting.

I tried to play some MP3s; they sound low too but it was pretty unstable: audio keeps getting cut without any CPU spike. I will throw in windows on it to see if it gives me trouble.

Thanks for trying to help.