Posts by AMoo-Miki

Try these separately. First, using HDMI1 or the other FHD TV, go to System > Display and set the resolution to something not 4K, say 1920x1080. Then, see if HDMI0 shows up on the Q80.

If that doesn't help, open config.txt and comment out all the lines and add these to the bottom, each line in a line of its own:

Code
    hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
    core_freq_min=500
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Make sure nothing else from your previous attempts exists in the guisettings and then reboot RPi.

If that doesn't help, try recording a video of that text dump and then try to see what the text is saying.

If it does work and HDMI0 does show the picture, go to System > Display and change to 3840x2160. You will only have 30Hz but we will fix that later. If after changing to 4K you still have picture, try commenting out the last line in config.txt and reboot. If HDMI0 continues to work, comment out the next last line as well and reboot to get the ability to do 4K 60Hz.

Also, CEC will not work but we can talk about a solution for that later.

While your best bet would be to SSH in and use an editor like `vi or nano, the answer your question about the keymaps  folder you stumbled upon is yes.

Code
    special://profile/ is mapped to: special://masterprofile/
    special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /storage/.kodi/userdata

So the keymaps you see in the file manager under special://profile is indeed the /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps referenced in the other post..

I compiled 10.95.1 with libCEC 6.0.2 and it works great. I will raise a PR.

Code
    libCEC version: 6.0.2,  compiled on 2023-02-26 05:57:18 by miki@Miki-AW. on Linux 4.4.0-19041-Microsoft (x86_64), features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, Linux

However, that makes no sense because there is no meaningful difference between libCEC 4.0.7 and libCEC 6.0.2. Am I missing something here:

Comparing libcec-4.0.7...libcec-6.0.2 · Pulse-Eight/libcec
    USB CEC Adapter communication Library http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/ - Comparing libcec-4.0.7...libcec-6.0.2 · Pulse-Eight/libcec
    github.com

Though I guess the reverse explains it:

Comparing libcec-6.0.2...libcec-4.0.7 · Pulse-Eight/libcec
    USB CEC Adapter communication Library http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/ - Comparing libcec-6.0.2...libcec-4.0.7 · Pulse-Eight/libcec
    github.com

I used to have a Samsung KS8000 connected to LE running on an RPi4. HDMI CEC worked great on it allowing me to use the TV's remote to navigate the Kodi interfaces. I just got a Samsung QN90B and tried to use the TV's remote as before with no luck.

Just for laughs, I bumped to LE 10.95.1 (LE11 Beta 2) and updated firmwares but CEC didn't work either. I noticed libCEC was 4.0.7:

Code
    libCEC version: 4.0.7,  compiled on 2023-02-12 21:15:31 by docker@ff72e675fac3 on Linux 5.15.60-2-pve (x86_64), features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, Linux

To make sure the TV was not faulty, I booted the RPi with Bullseye + vanilla Kodi, CEC worked just fine. Here:

Code
    libCEC version: 6.0.2, compiled on Linux-5.10.63-v8+ ... , features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, randr, RPi, Exynos, Linux, AOCEC

In an attempt to find more info I dug deep into the internet and remember seeing some text about newer TVs use a newer CEC protocol and the two major version differences in libCEC might be what explains that. Do you have another theory?

Playing 7.1 audio and video content encoded with AAC LC, FLAC, or Vorbis, output only 7 channels (6.1) and two are out of wrong channels. When playing 8-channel content:

Code
    CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Opened device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0,AES0=0x04,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02"
    CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats
    CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S24NE3

CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Input Channel Count: 8 Output Channel Count: 8
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: FL, FR, FC, LFE, BL, BR, SL, SR
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: FL, FR, LFE, FC, BL, BR, BC, UNKNOWN1 (ALSA: FL FR LFE FC RL RR RC NA)

I have a 9.1 setup: FL, FC, FR, LFE, BL, BR, SL, SR, TRL, and TRR. However, that is not how ALSA sees thing:

Content with TrueHD or DTS HD with 8 channels are passed through as RAW and the streams are mapped correctly.

Code
    CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Opened device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x09"
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW (ALSA: none)

The full log is available here.

I did a speaker-test which just like LE, sent out one stream to a non-existent RC channel and one channel misfired which I presume is the UNKNOWN1 one.

To make sure this was not purely a problem with ALSA, I installed RaspiOS and checked HDMI playback with ALSA; the audio was put out from the correct speakers.

of course. thanks. I am convinced that this is an ALSA problem. I will try the 9.95.4 and will also spin a desktop Buster to see if the problem remains. Thanks for the bug report link :)

PS, in agreement with what you mentioned, even though I have pass-through configured, only TrueHD and DTS HD are being passed as RAW and played correctly through all 8 channels. All others go through PCM and the bad channel mapping occurs.

I am not sure if I understood what you were asking but here is what I did:

I changed the audio output settings to 2.0 and played an 8-channel test wave file. The output correctly identified front, back, and surround lefts and rights which it played all from front left and right; it skipped LFE which I guess is expected.

I apologize if that is not what you meant and am very thankful that you are helping.

I Switched back to 7.1 in audio settings of Kodi and tested the same file. While the channel layouts were like the AAC LC log where there was BC and UNKNOWN1, the input on SL was sent to BL and the input on SR was sent to RL; none of the surround speakers made any sound.

I did a speaker-test -c8 and the channel mixup exists there too.

Da Flex, 2.0 with FL and FR is output correctly.

I also tried disabling passthrough which was enabled earlier and the problem remains.

Comparing the logs from LE9.2.6 and LE9.95.3, i noticed that LE9.2.6 finds the AE_FMT_FLOATP but LE9.95.3 cannot find AE_FMT_FLOAT.

However, I have a feeling that the issue is not LE really and is in fact an issue with ALSA on RPi. I hope LE honors asound configs.

Content using a 7.1 configuration for the audio, with any of AAC LC, FLAC, or Vorbis codecs, play as 6.1 with the Lw and Rw channels being sent out as Cw. However, content using the 7.1 configuration with DTS XLL (DTS-HD) or MLP FBA 16-ch (TrueHD) put out all the 8 channels. I have tried with at least 20 AAC LC videos but have only one DTS-HD and one TrueHD.

All the AAC and FLAC encoded video files show the 8 channels on the "Player Process Info" dialog. These play with all the 8 channels on the current non-beta releases. Is there something I need to do to get full 8 channels out of AAC LC, FLAC, or Vorbis content?

Extras:

* Could the UNKNOWN1 be causing a problem?

* I have a 9.1 setup but ALSA sees the Marantz receiver as having 8.1 channels. Moreover, I just have one center channel which is FC; everything else is either left or right. Is this channel mapping something I can modify or influence?

Playing AAC LC content:

Code
    CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Opened device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0,AES0=0x04,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02"
    CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats
    CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S24NE3

CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: FL, FR, FC, LFE, BL, BR, SL, SR
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: FL, FR, LFE, FC, BL, BR, BC, UNKNOWN1 (ALSA: FL FR LFE FC RL RR RC NA)

Playing DTS-HD content:

Code
    CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Opened device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x09"
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW
    CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW, RAW (ALSA: none)

The full log for LE9.95.3 is here.

With LE9.2.6 which plays the audio correctly:

Playing AAC LC content:

Playing DTS-HD content, plays as 5.1:

The full log for LE9.2.6 can be found here.

Thanks Da Flex for the proposals.

• Changing the wiring would force me to use ARC which confuses the AVR; it occasionally gets into a loop.
    • HDMI is not even an options on my LE. I have 3 ALSA HDA entrys (Default, Intel PCH ALC283, and Intel PCH MJI) + PULSE Blootooth
      Out of those, the only one that produces any sound is the Intel PCH MJI one.
    • Setting to 2.0 didn't help.

Is there any way to do this at the driver level? advancedsettings perhaps? Alsa?

Thanks

I wanted to try LE so I installed it on a NUC 2820 using Generic.x86_64-9.1.002.img via a USB drive. I have the NUC connected to a Marantz AVR via HDMI and that is connected to the TV.

What I noticed is that the audio was very low compared to other devices I have connected to the AVR. As you might imagine, this is pretty annoying to have to reduce the volume before I switch to watching the Cable or Netflix (on Fire TV) and to have to increase the volume to watch something on LE.

I might have used the volume amplification and made that the default for all media but unfortunately, I have a shared database for other Kodi installation across the house. Increasing the volume that way would make every other setup loud and their usage annoying.

I checked alsamixer which shows everything at 100% but changing things there has no effect on the level of volume; reducing it all the way down doesn't decrease the audio output a bit. So alsamixer might not be the right place to make any changes.

I have audio passthrough enabled with 7.1 "best match" configuration; I had "optimized" earlier and it was the same. To get any sound coming out of LE, I had to choose ALSA PCH MJI Maratnz; ALSA PCH default didn't produce any sound.

Kodi's own volume is at its max. I can't think of anything to increase the audio levels on my LE; can you?

Thanks