LE 10.95.x Beta - TV Samsung problem RPi4 HDMI0

• Hello! I apologize for the quality of the translation*.

I have an unsolved problem with LE 10.95.0-1. - installation on USB stick.

On RPi4B HDMI0 to connect to Samsung 4K Q80 series 2021 TV (max 3840x2160 /60Hz).

(There is no other option Q80 than extended HDMI signal on the TV.)

:!: When LE starts, it shows a text dump and then the TV states that RPi4 HDMI0 is off, even though LE is reachable from Kore or on LAN SW to check the run.

I plugged in a good quality 8K HDMI cable.

On the RPi4B HDMI1 at the same time the TV shows a FullHD /60Hz picture, there is no CEC function.

(If I connect this RPi4B HDMI0 to another FullHD TV/display, everything is fine.)

Parameters: hdmi_enable_4kp60=1; hdmi_enable_ekp60=1

...HDMI1 function is not affected at all, it still shows FullHD..?

No procedure posted on the forum has helped to get the TV to show the image in the GUI from HDMI0.

I used the advice from THREAD1

and also from THREAD2

In the guisettings.xml file these parameters appeared but it does not affect the problem.

Thank you for returning to the original working default GUI for RPi4 HDMI0.

Does anyone have a solution for that TV Q80? :?:

Thank you very much.

*/Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Try these separately. First, using HDMI1 or the other FHD TV, go to System > Display and set the resolution to something not 4K, say 1920x1080. Then, see if HDMI0 shows up on the Q80.

If that doesn't help, open config.txt and comment out all the lines and add these to the bottom, each line in a line of its own:

Code
    hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
    core_freq_min=500
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Make sure nothing else from your previous attempts exists in the guisettings and then reboot RPi.

If that doesn't help, try recording a video of that text dump and then try to see what the text is saying.

If it does work and HDMI0 does show the picture, go to System > Display and change to 3840x2160. You will only have 30Hz but we will fix that later. If after changing to 4K you still have picture, try commenting out the last line in config.txt and reboot. If HDMI0 continues to work, comment out the next last line as well and reboot to get the ability to do 4K 60Hz.

Also, CEC will not work but we can talk about a solution for that later.

• You can't use config.txt for HDMI options since LE 10.

Add vc4.force_hotplug=1 to cmdline.txt instead:

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    nano /flash/cmdline.txt
    reboot
  • Have a nice day! I'm here with the experimental results on LE11 Final.

I have tried all the suggested procedures. The result was consistently bad. I had already performed most of them before writing the first post.

Then I focused on distroconfig.txt, it is not recommended to make changes in it. So I tested the distroconfig entries in config.txt.

Finding - the problem is with the kernel.img file: blocking kernel does not cancel the HDMI0 output but only shows a black screen. TV screen shows info 3840x2160 /30Hz.

I made an attempt to replace the kernel.img file (+md5) in LE11 with the file from LE10.

Now it shows the LE boot screen but - it says "load broken" and runs a timeout of 60sec, then it says Failured Pulse Audio. Then it reboots and the thing repeats.

I think that's the end of LE11 on a 4K Samsung Q80 TV.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm just now seeing that next post from Da Flex. I'll try again when I can, thank you.

Edited 2 times, last by meda2019 (March 6, 2023 at 8:11 PM).

• Finally I made a new USB drive installation of LE11 Final and added entries to config.txt as recommended by the site, and cmdline.txt:

vc4.force_hotplug=1 #this cmdline parameter decided.

I could edit the files in the Linux PC before the first run on the Raspberry, it went quickly.

Thank you very much for your advice and support.

Maybe already unnecessary - I attach the log file:

hastebin

• Yes, this latest Kodi and LibreElec systems are more agile, on the same HW, than before. That's a good job!

I have one more question:

First, the Samsung 4K TV's picture info showed me that 4K video runs at FullHD 1980x1080 /60Hz.

I went through the items in the Settings menu System - List of enabled...

and enabled 3840x2160, there was no frequency other than 30Hz or less.

1980x1080 was the option for 60Hz and below. I enabled all of these named resolutions and also the items Reduce frequency 3:2... and Enable double...

The TV still held 3840x2160 /30Hz even after rebooting.

In between, I installed apps, configured apps, did backups.

I have no idea(?) when the 3840x2160 /60Hz picture info appeared on the Samsung 4K TV.

But yes, now the TV shows 60Hz!

So I want to ask which items are important for this setting ( 3840x2160 /60Hz)?

• That's an intended behavior. 4K video usually only delivers a 30Hz refresh rate. That's why LE settings don't go higher. Your TV doubles the 30Hz refresh rate by showing each frame twice, and a 60Hz info appears. So the answer is: LE's 30Hz setting is the right one.