I have no idea how to update pihole docker, it's embarrassing.

• NOTE!!!!!:

I have used docker exec -i /bin/bash to go inside the docker and manually edit whitelist.txt and blacklist.txt. The files are edited, inside the filesystem of the container.

I do not know the command to update it. 4.3 is out I have 4.2

I tried docker pull to grab the new image but it doesn't update the running one.

I tried to stop and start the docker.

I exported the docker to a tar file, I don't know what that does

I think the docker update command is more about updating the system variables for the docker image, not updating the version.

What did I do wrong? I do not have a folder mapped, outside of the docker, containing the configuration files, like blacklist and whitelist. So I assume that's the bit I did wrong yeah?

• Official Post

If you're using linuxserver.io docker image then of course is will be out of date - the update to 4.3 was only made on the 18th May (Three days ago!!)

If you really must run the latest release then you need to run it manually - as detailed Here. The "pull" will download V4.3

Whitelist and blacklist are normally entered via the web gui.

• If you're using linuxserver.io docker image then of course is will be out of date - the update to 4.3 was only made on the 18th May (Three days ago!!)

If you really must run the latest release then you need to run it manually - as detailed Here. The "pull" will download V4.3

Whitelist and blacklist are normally entered via the web gui.

Hey Iridium,

Thanks for the reply, this is very much appreciated.

Yes, I did a manual roll of mine, not the repository one

"docker run pihole/pihole -p etc etc etc"

I found that editing the whitelist and the blacklist to be cumbersome via the GUI, when I have over 50 of each. Therefore, I manually edited the .txt file via the interactive shell, solving the problem.

I want to ask you a very stupid question and I really hope you can reply, I'm dumb at docker and this stuff is killing me.

I did *not* specify external folder mappings,due to testing / lazyness.

-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime \

-v /storage/.config/pihole/:/etc/pihole \

-v /storage/.config/pihole/dnsmasq.d/:/etc/dnsmasq.d \

-v /storage/.config/pihole/html/:/var/www/html/html/ \

Therefore, my blacklist.txt and whitelist.txt are mounted INSIDE the docker container (yeah? is that how it works?)

So would I be right in thinking, in my situation, it's impossible for me, to upgrade my container, without losing my settings, because the settings are INSIDE the image?

(Also, I thought images were read only and any changes I make are actually never committed, so I'm kinda surprised editing the 2 files worked?)

Thanks for your time, sorry, this is kind of elementary docker advice really, I have been reading about docker for weeks and still don't 'get' how the file structure works and how data is stored.

• Images are read only. But you create a container from the image, which is rw, and ephemeral. Any changes you make are inside the container. Once you destroy the container, your changes are lost.

You can copy your files out of there via "docker cp" before you destroy it