Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• Hi

I have just tried LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-nightly-20201031-cf5a710-orangepi-pc-plus on my orange pi pc plus, and it works great. Many thanks for the hard work.

One thing I am missing however, and prevents me from drooping my old openelec setup, is the ability to use pin PA17 (available on pin 4 of camera connector) for spdif audio.

Are there any plans to enable this in a future build (or maybe I can already activate this via a config file somewhere, as I did by modifying /boot/script.bin on my openelec build?)

script.bin is in mainline replaced by the dtb, the device tree blob, not being an expert, I suppose it should be possible.

I just tested libreelec on the orange pi 3 and it is wonderful.

The problem is that I have not managed to install a frontend or make the emulationstation work,

retroarch or zack morris ...

Could someone help me install it on the kodi ??

I just updated my board yesterday after a long time and realised at the moment many as ddons are not compiled, so maybe you have to wait acouple of weeks, or try compiling by yourself...

Edited once, last by lumpi: Merged a post created by lumpi into this post. (November 1, 2020 at 11:53 PM).

• it works until it tries to load LibreELEC addon for Kodi

yeah, known problem. I can't say when it will be fixed, though.

The problem is that I have not managed to install a frontend or make the emulationstation work,

retroarch or zack morris ...

Could someone help me install it on the kodi ??

Kodi has just been updated. You have to wait few days until addons are updated in repo or build them yourself.

One thing I am missing however, and prevents me from drooping my old openelec setup, is the ability to use pin PA17 (available on pin 4 of camera connector) for spdif audio.

SPDIF driver is available but I didn't test it at all (no appropriate device). You would have to edit dtb file - find spdif node and replace status = "disabled"; to status = "okay"; Note that this file will get overwritten every time you update.

• I'm considering changing policy regarding boards with less than 1 GiB RAM - they would be accepted in main repo and thus nightly images would be available. However, support for them would be provided by community - I will ignore issues reported on those boards.

What do you think?

It's good news. Personally, I use OPi One with the MythTV pvr plugin (for playing HEVC DVB-T2 recordings) and it usually works reasonably satisfactorily.

• Hello,

I'm install on my Orange Pi PC last image "LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-nightly-20201105-57711b6-orangepi-pc.img" and i have a problem with using Tvheadend Server. I can install thi addon but i can't run in form GUI interface, when I run it from console line the server start to response on port 9981 but I can't login to the server for configure.

Do You have any idea where is the problem or maybe You have some system images with working Tvheadend correctly?

• I'm considering changing policy regarding boards with less than 1 GiB RAM - they would be accepted in main repo and thus nightly images would be available. However, support for them would be provided by community - I will ignore issues reported on those boards.

What do you think?

If you do that skip the Orange Pi Zero (H2+), since the composite out support is missing in mainline (unless someone with the knowledge wants to work on that of course).

• Personally, I use OPi One with the MythTV pvr plugin (for playing HEVC DVB-T2 recordings) and it usually works reasonably satisfactorily.

If you do that skip the Orange Pi Zero (H2+), since the composite out support is missing in mainline (unless someone with the knowledge wants to work on that of course).

First board was merged today - BananaPi M2 Zero. I won't do anything regarding those board - if someone wants to have it in master, he/she must open PR on github.

BTW, composite output shouldn't be hard to support on H3. If there is enough interest, I can port old Icenowy patches.

• SPDIF driver is available but I didn't test it at all (no appropriate device). You would have to edit dtb file - find spdif node and replace status = "disabled"; to status = "okay";

Many thanks for your answer. I guess however I am doing something wrong here, as I still cannot see any spdif in my audio option. It is the first time I update a dtb file, so I might have missed something.

Here is what I did :

I copied /flash/sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc-plus.dtb to a linux computer, used dtc to uncompile it, change the status as suggested, compiled with dtc, and then copy back on the orangepi.

I have also found some threads mentioning /storage/.update, but copying my file here has no effect either.

What is the proper way to edit the dtb file ?

Note that this file will get overwritten every time you update.

Just out of curiosity, I there a specific reason for not activating spdif in the default dtb file provided in the image ?

• What is the proper way to edit the dtb file ?

You're doing it correctly. However, as I said, I never used spdif. Little more digging revealed that you also have to add:

note, best place to add above nodes is right behind connector node.

Just out of curiosity, I there a specific reason for not activating spdif in the default dtb file provided in the image ?

We are following mainline kernel rules - whatever is not present on the board is not enabled in DT. In this case, there is no spdif connector on board, so it's not enabled by default. Long term idea is to add support for overlays - small pre-compiled patches for DT, you would just list those you want in config file (similar to RPi). We are not there yet...

• Why do you assume we are using issue tracker? :) Anyway, for this particular issue there is bug report ([BUG] /usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/oe.py/oe.py raise exception · Issue #4563 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub) but not much is happening, at least publicly.

Does that LE 10.0 label on the bug mean this would not be resolved at least until 10.0 release? Oh that's so sad....

I assumed you use issue tracker because i do.... Well, i read through that bug report and followed the link to busybox (that says it's fixed), but i don't have enough knowledge to understand what the bug is really about so i can't be of any help.... But probably if you point me in the right direction i can be useful - make a PR on github etc.

• Does that LE 10.0 label on the bug mean this would not be resolved at least until 10.0 release?

It means that it should be solved before LE 10.0 is released, but not when. It could be tomorrow or a day before LE 10.0 release (don't ask me when will that be).

I assumed you use issue tracker because i do....

Github issues were introduced recently, so not much bugs there. Users also report bugs on the forum.

i don't have enough knowledge to understand what the bug is really about so i can't be of any help.... But probably if you point me in the right direction i can be useful - make a PR on github etc.

Bug is that python library for dbus must be replaced with one which actually works on python 3.8. New library is already included in LE build system (dbussy) but now settings addon needs to be reworked to actually use it and drop old one.

• Code
    You're doing it correctly. However, as I said, I never used spdif. Little more digging revealed that you also have to add: 	 		 			sound_spdif {         compatible = "simple-audio-card";         simple-audio-card,name = "On-board SPDIF";          simple-audio-card,cpu {             sound-dai = <&spdif>;         };          simple-audio-card,codec {             sound-dai = <&spdif_out>;         };     };      spdif_out: spdif-out {         #sound-dai-cells = <0>;         compatible = "linux,spdif-dit";     };

note, best place to add above nodes is right behind connector node.

We are almost there ! I get the following error when compiling :

Code
    ./sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc-plus.dts:1243.25-1245.5: ERROR (phandle_references): /sound_spdif/simple-audio-card,cpu: Reference to non-existent node or label "spdif"

Can you help me fixing this ?

• Hi,

I can't find image for olimex A64 board. That's strange because i do have the board with a working libreelec system and I thought i got it here.

I was trying to install libreelec on emmc but after using dd it does not boot and after reinstalling u-boot it doesn't find the partition to mount. When in the sd card system with ssh it doesn't list emmc device in dev.