Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• jernej,

So, I have done all the things from your link. I configured Git in my laptop Ubuntu and downloaded the LibreELEC, so it's in my Home folder now.

Then I have run: PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 scripts/create_addon pvr.iptvsimple, as you have told me and it began creating a build with PVR (I suppose) for very long time.

Now should I just make and image using PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 UBOOT_SYSTEM=orangepi-plus2e make image and that's it? Would I get an image with the PVR Simple add-on included, or what? Thanks again!!!

P.S. Or should I had to first compile an image using PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 UBOOT_SYSTEM=orangepi-plus2e make image and only then to compile an add-on using PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 scripts/create_addon pvr.iptvsimple ?

Edited 2 times, last by levitsky86 (March 16, 2020 at 11:32 AM).

• Jernej, many thanks again! I have done compiling the add-on and I have it as .zip file now. May I first clean all remaining data of my project before compiling the image for my board? Because, I have only 2GB of free space left on my Ubuntu SSD.

And can I use cleaning during compiling, or this should make the compile process unable to complete?

Edited once, last by levitsky86 (March 16, 2020 at 7:19 PM).

• Building image needs about 20 GiB of free disk space, less if you have already build addon (don't know how much exactly). But there is experimental feature, which cleans package as soon as it is build and installed - just add AUTOREMOVE=yes to the command line. With this, you should need much less free disk space.

• Dear Jernej, thanks for your kind help! I have done compiling the image too. Now I have 7 files in my target folder (.img.gz, .kernel, .system, .tar, etc...) should I merge them somehow to get one file for image, or not? As .img.gz and .tar are 100 MB each and that looks small.

• Jernej, I have tried the compiled build with PVR finally. All in all impression is good! Hardware acceleration works perfect when watching TV in full screen. Some major problems occur if I start scrolling the TV channels list while a video is playing at he background. It starts to lag and even can come to a full stop (5-10 seconds). But then it goes on again. Also it seems that the menu speed is not as smooth as video playback, but it's 99% OK!

Thanks for your hard work and waiting for finally defeating all problems and final release!

• jernej, I own a BananaPi M2 Zero (Allwinner H2+). I would like to run Kodi on it. It is quit well-supported on Armbian right now, but I failed in getting cedrus working. I did recompile ffmpeg from kwiboo's repo, but that did not seem to work. Do you think it would be possible to add the BP M2-Zero to your nightly builds for Libreelec? I think it is mainline-kernel supported, barring a couple of changes to the devicetree, but I've got some patches for that, such as the last six or seven over here:

Commits · PJBrs/linux_kernel · GitHub

A subset of these are in Armbian now as well.

In fact, I did download one of your images for H3 (I think a BananaPi one) and replaced kernel and devicetree. Didn't boot though, probably because I should have recompiled the bootloader, but I didn't know how to do that in the case of Libreelec. Anyway, it would be great if you could add the BP-M2 Zero. Otherwise it would also be great if you could give me a couple of pointers.

*** EDIT ***

I tried to build it myself, as follows. I checked out the cedrus_update branch. Then I patched the source as follows:

... and did

Code
    PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 UBOOT_SYSTEM=bananapi-m2-zero make image

That resulted in an image that I then transferred to my sd card. Which seemed to go alright, but when I start up the device, nothing shows, not even the bootloader. One thing I did notice is the absence of the dtb file in the LIBREELEC partition. Is that correct? Anyway, suggestions more than welcome!

Edited 3 times, last by PJBrs: Added my build attempts (March 18, 2020 at 9:42 PM).

• I own a BananaPi M2 Zero (Allwinner H2+). I would like to run Kodi on it.

Boards with less than 1 GiB of RAM are not supported as stated in OP and it seems that there is an issue with current U-Boot on such boards and they don't boot. Not 100% sure, but that seems to be the pattern.

I checked out the cedrus_update branch.

Always use LibreELEC master branch.

Then I patched the source as follows:

You have to add new H2 device. Just copy H3 device folder and name it H2. Then create H2 section in U-Boot helper scritpt. But even if you do that, I'm not sure if it will be bootable due to possible issue in U-Boot itself.

• Dear Jernej,

I have tested the image on my Orange Pi Plus 2e for few days already with PVR IPTV Simple client. What I've noticed are some really minor (trivial) lags when whatching full HD channels using H.264 codec. Lags are minor, but they are present and appear once after approximately every 20-40 seconds. And a quick menu scrolling seems a really tough task for now as it's much more laggy then playing full HD video.

• Dear Jernej, thanks for your reactions!

Boards with less than 1 GiB of RAM are not supported as stated in OP

I read that. I'm running LibreELEC on my RPi Zero, and it performs very well. So I took "unsupported" to mean that developers don't fix bugs for it. I take it that you mean that I'm mostly on my own with this one? Would you take any patches if I succeed? Anyway, you could really help me out with a couple of suggestions, I hope :)

and it seems that there is an issue with current U-Boot on such boards and they don't boot. Not 100% sure, but that seems to be the pattern.

I'm not too sure whether it is the current U-Boot or something else... I built LibreELEC with an older u-boot that I know works with Armbian. It built fine but it didn't run. It might be the u-boot config, which appears a very little bit different. Might have some success that way...

Anyway, I copied all the LibreELEC boot files to the root of my Armbian install, added the kernel to the Armbian /boot/ directory and linked it to zImage, changed the partition UUIDs in /extlinux/extlinux.conf, copied the dtb from the LibreELEC tree to my Armbian root and then it booted. In other words, it appears that the H3 kernel is fine. Boots all the way to starting Kodi media centre, and then the device hangs and gets very hot. Which probably has something to do with:

Always use LibreELEC master branch.

Really? 'Cause what I would like to use is the tree with the best support for Mali-400 + cedrus. If you could give me a pointer to the best supported github branch for that, that would be very very helpful! Because the other device specifics (u-boot, kernel, firmware) I can manage myself.

Or maybe can I just copy a system.img from a similar H3 device, now that I have a kernel and devicetree that boot?

(I know you suggested to create a H2 device, but as far as I know H2 and H3 are actually fully compatible and the same, so I was wondering what difference that would make.)

• So I took "unsupported" to mean that developers don't fix bugs for it. I take it that you mean that I'm mostly on my own with this one? Would you take any patches if I succeed?

Yes, yes and no, sorry.

Really? 'Cause what I would like to use is the tree with the best support for Mali-400 + cedrus. If you could give me a pointer to the best supported github branch for that, that would be very very helpful!

That's LibreELEC master. When I find any fix, I make PR. For example, changes in branch you used are already merged in LE master. I already deleted branches from my repo which were merged into LE.

I know you suggested to create a H2 device, but as far as I know H2 and H3 are actually fully compatible and the same, so I was wondering what difference that would make.

Scripts, which build final image, assume that device name is part of dtb file name. That's the reason your final build is missing dtb file.

• jernej I can report success with my Eachlink H6 Mini. Though I couldn't connect the UART because i have v1.2 which is missing the resistor. While soldering i damaged the pads :/

But i simply took the Tanix Image and added "mem=2048M video=HDMI-A-1:e" to the kernel options. It works fine now.

Next is to get up the remote control and check if anything doesn't works as expected. Thanks for sour work.

Regards

rellla

• I will check, if i need both.

The bad news are, that LE doesn't work after reboot. May it happen that there is done some update and my kernel parameters are overwritten again?

jernej: It seems, that the hdmi option is enough for me to get it started the first time.

Edited once, last by rellla (March 22, 2020 at 1:49 PM).

• The bad news are, that LE doesn't work after reboot. May it happen that there is done some update and my kernel parameters are overwritten again?

By "reboot" you mean soft reboot, right? Usually that means that kernel crashed at shutdown. Uart output would help :)

It seems, that the hdmi option is enough for me to get it started the first time.

ok, good to know, thanks!

• By "reboot" you mean soft reboot, right? Usually that means that kernel crashed at shutdown. Uart output would help :)

ok, good to know, thanks!

No. As soon as i have shut it down, either via menu or cutting power supply, it doesn't come up again. On HDMI i can see what i type in with the keyboard, but it doesn't go further. Network isn't available, too. I have to check that, but wondered if there is a simple reason for that behaviour...